Skip to main content

Problem in the Park

We have a problem in the park!
There are a couple of raucous Sulphur-crested Cockatoos
who are making a right racket every morning.


Something is up,
there is much flapping of wings,
manic tearing away at the bark,
cawing and screeching.

The locals are worried, concerned not for the birds
but for the beautiful gum tree.



To me brought up with nothing more exciting than a 
escapee budgerigar in the park,
these parrots are exotic and gorgeous.
 To my Aussie friends they are pests.

Apparently these birds can live up to 40 years in the wild
and our local Boroondara Council have been called
and asked to come to the rescue of the eucalyptus tree.


They are clearly breeding
having made themselves a lovely nest of wood chips
by hollowing out this large right hand branch.

Their actions in building their perfect dream house
could destroy the tree.
We are all really aware of the danger of 
falling trees after some high profile accidents with falling branches.


It has gone really quiet recently,
we're not quite sure whether the birds have flown the nest, 
or what.

Our beautiful tree stands proud,
and the Crazy Poodle does his bit for tree preservation,
he waters it every morning!


Linking with Our World Tuesday
Thank you to all the hosts!


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anyone for Tennis?

At the Australian Open qualifying tournament... 

Are you ready for the first Grand Slam of the year? The Aus Open starts next week (Monday 13th - Sunday 26 January) but Melbourne is already in full swing (ha ha) with tennis players and tennis action. 


You can pay to watch some of the top seeded Men's players in action at the Kooyong Classic, just down the road. Or, you can join me for what I say is one of the best value tennis, indeed let's say sporting tickets in the world. The Australian Open qualifying tournament (Jan 8 -11), where you can wander in for free. Yes free!

The 'Qualies' is one of the secret treasures of the Aus Open where players compete and must win matches on three consecutive days to secure one of the last remaining spots in the main draw.
For the past seven years we have been a host family for tennis players, which is how we have become so familiar with the highs and lows of this lead up event... 
So would you like a sneak peak inside Melbourne Park, whi…

Bangkok Blogger

Life is not about finding ourselves it is about creating ourselves! George Bernard Shaw

Cooee! It's me calling in from Thailand. Sorry, it's been a while, it's been a tad busy. Still, we've not done badly. We've moved into our temporary apartment and are well on the way to finding something more permanent. We're overlooking the American Embassy compound, which is acres of impressive greenery in amongst the high rise buildings. I love it, I can even hear the little birds sing in the morning.
So welcome to my new life as .... drum roll please, Hmmm actually, I have no bleedin’ idea, so how about Bangkok Blogger for now?
How would you feel if you were to arriving in a new country, where you know no-one, and you're not even sure what your life will entail? For me, it was a feeling of excitement, crossed with a rolling of the eyes, a smile and my 'here we go again' expression. 
Of course, this always happens Mr Wren was away travelling and so I rocked up for …

Keep Calm And Birthday On!

So far I'm onto my fourth country celebrating my birthday. Usually, I don't fuss much about birthdays, I'm not one for the big girls night out, or to treat myself with a big splurge... 
But this year is different. I've moved country. I now have a new visa in my passport enabling me to stay in the Kingdom of Thailand until May 2018. I'm away from the kids and the dog and Mr Wren looked at his work calendar, scratched his head and declared a meeting with dinner on my birthday.

I thought for a moment about pulling the old 'I can't believe you've got a meeting with dinner on my birthday AND it's International Women's Day' complaint, but wait a moment, no... That's a perfect excuse to celebrate with everyone, everywhere! 
'Hey, but I thought you said  you never bothered much about birthdays...'
I can hear him call out as I am part way to booking a flight to Malaysia and using all his Airmiles for a return trip to the UK!

He's right, I&#…