Skip to main content

Don't jump off cliffs!

So Little Wren Sunflower Boy is in a hospital tonight,* he jumped off a cliff and perforated his eardrum. He's now sporting a very flash turban and gets jelly and ice cream for dinner.




It's a good way to learn that sometimes the choices you make in life have consequences. I mean just look at this dinner! We had a chuckle and said the one thing he should have done was put Pizza Hut down as his emergency contact number! 




Still, at least he's had his dinner, unlike me. I'm just sitting here watching his drip, drip and doing my very best to get everything sorted for him to have the most comfortable night possible!





Little Wren Boy is not so little anymore. He's well over six foot tall and I know I'm very lucky to have got our youngest kid, at twenty years old, to be the first to have had a night in the hospital. 

I've already been to see the ward Sister on several occasions. I'm trying not to ruffle too many feathers but.....

I started with the 'is there any chance we could have a bigger bed?' He is after all, virtually doubled up in a tiny bed? He doesn't like to complain... 

Unlike his not-so  Zen Wren mother

First off, I'm rather pleased with myself at having got him an upgrade to a private room. Why are all my family and friends rolling around on the floor laughing? C'mon you wouldn't have expected anything else would you from the Queen of Upgrades would you?!




The only problem is that this upgrade cost a bit. I knew my Trip Advisor reputation was not going to cut it with the check-in chick at The Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital but now I have to confess to my husband that we're getting a $800 bill for the room for the night "Whaaaat?" I know he will say. 

I know he's going to tell me that our son will be drugged up to the eyeballs and won't remember the night that we splashed out enough for a posh suite in the best hotel in Melbourne. I can hear him saying now "that was a waste of money!!" 

Anyway, I'm rather pleased with my efforts thus far, because  we're in a public hospital with limited facilities for private rooms, which they tell us on arrival is usually kept for those with special needs, or those who go a bit loopy on the medication. Ha! I suspect they realised that this poor kid had special needs - his mother in full flight, in protective mother hen mode...

By this stage my son is feeling nauseous - or maybe it was me at the thought of having to confess to my husband what I'd just done...

'Any chance we can both have some anti - nausea medication?' I ask the nurse. She smiles, thinking I'm joking.

They wheel my son into his new room, which was a surprise as I was expecting a better bed. In fact , for 800 bucks I was hoping for a whole pillow menu and a chocolate on his pillow.

About the bed, I start! The nurse very cleverly pulls out the end of the bed for a slight extension and for the first time Little Boy Wren can straighten his legs and promptly falls asleep.

The nurse looks at her watch "Oh look it's ten past eight, it's time to go!," she smiles sweetly! 

* This was written on Friday, my son is now home from the hospital and making a good recovery!
Thank you for all the get well soon messages!

Linking with 
thanks to the hosts at Our World Tuesday

I
SaveSave
SaveSave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat