Skip to main content

My Melbourne

I have loved living in many places, but for the moment we call Melbourne home! 
Somewhere along the journey of life
 I morphed from a country lass 
growing up in the UK,
into an Aussie city girl.

I imagined that moving to Australia 
would involve spacious living with huge gardens.
Wrong! 
Well maybe for some people, but not for us...

A typical house in our neighbourhood
Instead I live squashed in, 
in prime real estate in the leafy suburbs.
Our area is one of weatherboard houses and cottage gardens.
I'm not complaining.

Melbourne's reputation as one of the 
world's most liveable city is well deserved.

I love the convenience of city living.
Most things I need are within a ten minute drive
school - kids sports - yoga - writing class


My son's school sports fields
Somethings are on my doorstep
shops - post office - parks. 

A decent coffee 
is always just around the corner.
Melbourne's cafe culture 
is part of the fabric of life here.
'Let's meet for a coffee'

City trains run every 10-20 minutes
I can walk five minutes to two train stations
and the tram is a ten minute walk.
Trams are part of the fabric of Melbourne's transport system
If I walk one way out of my front gate I get to a park
If I walk the other way I get to another park 
and a bike track into the city.
(there are 670 Km's of bike tracks in Melbourne)

In fact walk in any direction 
and you will generally find a park in Melbourne
with kids playgrounds, sports fields and tennis courts!


Melbourne is renown for it's parks
We are a twenty minute drive into Melbourne's CDB
It's easy if we want a foodie's night in town.
Melbourne is so multi-cultural you are spoiled for culinary choice.

Or a visit to the theatre, 
or perhaps have a laugh at the Melbourne Comedy Festival
or even attend a concert, all the big Pop stars come here.


Grace Min in action at the Aussie Open January 2014
If sports your thing, as it is for us, then it's non stop action
 when it comes to big sporting events.
Melbourne is home of the Australian Open Tennis in January
we can hear the dim roar of the Formula One racing cars 
racing around Albert Park 
for the Australian Grand Prix in March,
and so the year goes on...

We can support Australia and sometimes England
 playing cricket at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
The Boxing Day test match is a Melbourne must do.
The MCG can fit a cheering crowd of over 100,000 people 


Cheering Australia on at the MCG January 2014
Of course the first thing you need is a footy team to barrack for
We cheer on our favourite AFL Footy Team, Hawthorn.
They don't call Melbourne the Sporting capital of Australia for nothing!

We've got - Rugby - Soccer
 Basketball - Swimming - Hockey - Golf etc etc
Or if horse racing takes your fancy,
then the Spring Racing Carnival and Melbourne Cup Festival is a must.


A day at the races for Spring Racing Carnival is a not-to-be-missed event
There are so many festivals:
Moomba, Food and Wine
You need never be bored in Melbourne.

And don't get us started on the shopping...

Melbourne Central shopping
If its art and architecture that you love 
you'll find plenty to admire here.
Our street art is on every corner and all around.


If you fancy beach life we have that covered too!

The palm-lined bay beaches of trendy St Kilda
We have the choice of city beaches and
coastal beaches all within an hours drive
of home.


Rye ocean beach on the Mornington Peninsula
We don't perhaps have the WOW factor of Sydney 
with the Opera house and beautiful harbour
but boy is it an easy city to live in
with plenty to see and do.

Voted the friendliest and classiest place on earth
in the 2014 Conde Nast Traveler readers awards
They say 
'When you don't have a harbour 
you need to rely on personality!'

My Melbourne has plenty of personality.
Come visit and see!
Linking with Blue Monday
Thank you Sally!


Linking with Alphabe Thursday
Thanks to Jenny Matlock
M is for My Melbourne




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat