Skip to main content

Fuzzy Wuzzy Angels at Ferntree Gully, Upper



[Hello! You’ve found yourself at Day 6 of my April A to Z Challenge and you’ve joined a virtual bus tour of regional Victoria, Australia.  
My name is Wren and I live in Melbourne. During April, my husband and the kids are having to find their own dinner, whilst my Crazy Poodle and I, have an inordinate amount of fun showing you around. 
We are happy you can join as we get to know each other and explore the fabulous, fun, friendly, fantastic Victoria, for armchair travel at its best!]

Ferntree Gully - I wonder how that name came about?
Welcome back. Thank you for being such sports on 'D' Tuesday, squeezing into that Mini car. I love that I can throw anything at you and you’ll just rise to the challenge! In honour of Mary-Anne, Cynthia and Jeanie being so amenable to ride in the "boot", I'm going to suggest they get promoted to the front rows of this little bus which I found for the ride today! 

All aboard, I've found you a bus!
Now quick question, we need a driver. Anyone have a bus licence? It would also be kind of handy to know what medical skills we have amongst us? Don’t panic, this is virtual travel at it’s best. I can say with all certainty, unless you choke on your biscuits reading this with your cuppa, you will make it all the way!


Talking of tea,  we will end up hungry and thirsty! All offers greatly received. Sami, maybe you can bring some more of your Avocado mousse? That was pretty popular back in 'A' especially with Carol, Carrie-Anne, and Neesie, I know you you're not that fond of bush tucker, but you bake a lovely cake... just saying!


So there was a clue in my intro today, with  the words 'rise to the challenge'! I don’t want to alarm you too much, but today will involve a wonderful Blogging team challenge. We can’t drive the bus to the top of the mountain, so we’re going to have to wander, walk and maybe even wobble our way to the top of…


One Thousand steps!

Eileen and Cynthia, you have visited here with me before, so I'll let you lead the way!


Now Margaret, please don’t panic as I know you're still exhausted from your recent stone step climb, but I've got another job for you!  I'm putting you in charge of spotting the animals.
Just please don't yell out 'snake' as Karen and Nancy and others from 'A' are not fans, but if you can find a Bilby that would be awesome, but pretty unlikely as they are nearly extinct, more probable is a wombat or a wallaby. Binoculars to the ready. Good Luck!

So a little bit of history about this amazing place….




This 1000 step Kokoda Track Memorial walk is a popular 5 km walk, located in the Dandenong Ranges National Park, 35 Km East of Melbourne. 

As we trudge up these 1,000 steps, we will have a small insight into the courage, endurance, mateship and sacrifice required by Australian soldiers following the Kokoda trail in Papua New Guinea in World War Two. 

The Kokoda Trail is a popular bucket list activity for Australian's and it won't be uncommon to see people training for the real McCoy - they will be the ones running past, or carrying huge weighted backpacks! 



Before we head up, we can stop at the information boards which will tell us about more of the history.  Once Japan had invaded Papua New Guinea, it became one of the most bloodiest campaigns of World War Two. Had the Japanese been successful in their intentions in PNG, the mainland of Australia would have come under direct threat. Australia and PNG's relationship was cemented from these days.

We read some 16,000 Papuans were employed by Australia as carriers at this time. The Fuzzy Wuzzy Angels, was the affectionate nickname given by the Australians, to those who carried supplies and wounded soldiers up and down the Trail.


The Kokoda Trail in PNG is in dense jungle, our walk will take us through towering forests with tree ferns, manna gum, and blackwood before we reach the top of One Tree Hill.
No one eats the snacks till we’ve all made it to the top!
Thanks for your company today!

If you have enjoyed this post, you might like to see my previous post: 
A Thousand Steps post to be found here



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat