Skip to main content

Marysville: 'Beauty from the Ashes' quilt.

Feb 7th, 2009 is known as Black Saturday.
It was the day of the worst bushfires in Australian history. 
A day when 173 people lost their lives.

In the small town of Marysville, 
a wildfire took the lives of 34 people 
and destroyed over 95% of the town's buildings.
Marysville was one of five towns that completely burned down.

Message to Marysville: Beauty from the Ashes quilt
Six years on, I am standing admiring a beautiful quilt in the Marysville's Tourist
Information Centre. The quilt has 131 patches donated to the community by people all over Australia to show they care and to encourage them in the long road to recovery. 


Beauty from the Ashes Quilt

Black Saturday was a day Victorians will never forget. Our Melbourne day started normally. The kids were back to their first full week at school after the long summer holidays. We'd had an unprecedented hot spell, and because of the predicted extreme heat, school Saturday sport was cancelled. We talked about keeping cool at the cinema, but in the end, it was too hot to venture out.

Koala: Beauty from the Ashes quilt

The temperature in Melbourne, a 90-minute drive from Marysville, peaked at 46.4°C. (115.5 °F.) It was the swirling, blustering 100 km per hour winds that were unusual and dangerous.     The garden, despite our best efforts that summer was tinder dry, the lawn was scorched brown and in the winds the already sunburnt plants disintegrated, scattered across the garden like confetti. Imagine what it was like in Marysville a town in a valley surrounded by mountain forests.

Butterfly: Beauty from the ashes quilt
There had been warnings of the bushfire risk all day. We watched horrified as fire after fire was reported, around 400 fires across the state. By the evening television news, it was apparent Victoria was on fire.


Blue Wren: beauty from the ashes quilt
Last year we spot an advert in the Sunday paper for a weekend break in Marysville at the recently opened Vibe Hotel, the deal included a bottle of Yarra Valley sparkling wine and Marysville lolly shop chocolates. It seemed like a perfect way to have a getaway and support the community as it continues to recover from the devastation.

I look forward to sharing more Marysville photos, it really is remarkable seeing the town six years on.

Linking with the following 
Blue Monday with a massive thank you to Jeanne at Backyard Neighbor 
for continuing Smiling Sally's Blue Monday Meme

Thanks to Judith our  host of Mosaic Monday

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anyone for Tennis?

At the Australian Open qualifying tournament... 

Are you ready for the first Grand Slam of the year? The Aus Open starts next week (Monday 13th - Sunday 26 January) but Melbourne is already in full swing (ha ha) with tennis players and tennis action. 


You can pay to watch some of the top seeded Men's players in action at the Kooyong Classic, just down the road. Or, you can join me for what I say is one of the best value tennis, indeed let's say sporting tickets in the world. The Australian Open qualifying tournament (Jan 8 -11), where you can wander in for free. Yes free!

The 'Qualies' is one of the secret treasures of the Aus Open where players compete and must win matches on three consecutive days to secure one of the last remaining spots in the main draw.
For the past seven years we have been a host family for tennis players, which is how we have become so familiar with the highs and lows of this lead up event... 
So would you like a sneak peak inside Melbourne Park, whi…

Keep Calm And Birthday On!

So far I'm onto my fourth country celebrating my birthday. Usually, I don't fuss much about birthdays, I'm not one for the big girls night out, or to treat myself with a big splurge... 
But this year is different. I've moved country. I now have a new visa in my passport enabling me to stay in the Kingdom of Thailand until May 2018. I'm away from the kids and the dog and Mr Wren looked at his work calendar, scratched his head and declared a meeting with dinner on my birthday.

I thought for a moment about pulling the old 'I can't believe you've got a meeting with dinner on my birthday AND it's International Women's Day' complaint, but wait a moment, no... That's a perfect excuse to celebrate with everyone, everywhere! 
'Hey, but I thought you said  you never bothered much about birthdays...'
I can hear him call out as I am part way to booking a flight to Malaysia and using all his Airmiles for a return trip to the UK!

He's right, I&#…

Bangkok Blogger

Life is not about finding ourselves it is about creating ourselves! George Bernard Shaw

Cooee! It's me calling in from Thailand. Sorry, it's been a while, it's been a tad busy. Still, we've not done badly. We've moved into our temporary apartment and are well on the way to finding something more permanent. We're overlooking the American Embassy compound, which is acres of impressive greenery in amongst the high rise buildings. I love it, I can even hear the little birds sing in the morning.
So welcome to my new life as .... drum roll please, Hmmm actually, I have no bleedin’ idea, so how about Bangkok Blogger for now?
How would you feel if you were to arriving in a new country, where you know no-one, and you're not even sure what your life will entail? For me, it was a feeling of excitement, crossed with a rolling of the eyes, a smile and my 'here we go again' expression. 
Of course, this always happens Mr Wren was away travelling and so I rocked up for …