Skip to main content

Good Friday Royal Children's Hospital Appeal, Melbourne

Easter in Melbourne
is a glorious four day holiday weekend. 

Amidst the hot cross buns and Easter eggs,
it's hard to escape two big events in our city:

the start of the Australian Football League AFL season...
Go Hawks!

AND
 our Good Friday Appeal.



Across the city, fundraisers are out in force collecting
for our Royal Children's hospital.
Last year the Good Friday Appeal raised over 16 Million
 a staggering amount that they are hoping to exceed this year.


Having raised three children in Melbourne 
I am very happy to say 
I had never visited the Royal Children's Hospital
until this week, 
when I visited for coffee with a friend who was working there. 


For me, arriving on foot from across the parkland, 
and not in an ambulance with a sick child, 
I was able to appreciate the architectural beauty of the buildings
and the bushland Parkville setting.

City Views and glorious parkland surround the RCH
Once inside you notice the many child-centred activities 
that create the fun environment.
From a two story real coral reef aquarium,
the bean bag cinema,
or the Scienceworks hands on experience.

You are left with a feeling of what a wonderful building,
one that you hope you never have to use,
but if you do, you can see the immense amount of thought and design
to give children to best experience possible whilst in hospital.


The aquarium and some of the many interactive displays
It is no wonder that our Children's hospital is considered 
a world leader in child and adolescent health.

They seem to have thought of everything.
 The building is light full of natural light 
with many interactive indoor 
and outdoor play areas at every turn.

Alexander Knox: Creature at the Royal Melbourne Children's Hospital
One area I especially loved was the open air Meerkat enclosure
developed in partnership with Zoos Victoria.
These cheeky little critters,
so full of life, were entertaining young and old
with their boundless energy.

Spot the Meerkats!
The Meerkats are looked after by zoo keepers 
from the nearby Melbourne Zoo.

MRCH was the first hospital in the world to permanently
exhibit live animals, the zoo keepers cycle across the park
 on their bicycles to bring the Meerkats their food.

Judging by the numbers of children and adults
enthralled and enjoying watching, 
 the inquisitive Meerkats, they look a massive hit.

Meerkat enclosure Royal Children's Hospital for Saturday's Critters
Tonight we are watching the appeal updates 
on the television,
So far they have raised nearly 14 million
for this worthy cause.

Well done to all involved!

Linking with the following with thanks to all the wonderful hosts:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat