Skip to main content

Year of the Horse

Kung Hei Fat Choi 
for the Year of the Horse!
My friends in Asia are excited for the Year of the Horse and 
are all enjoying the major Chinese New Year holiday 
which started Friday 31st January. 
We too are excited, but for different reasons!
Peace and good health in the Year of the Horse! (馬年安康, mǎ nián ān kāng)
Here is our horse, Little Miss Hussy.
She is a three year old racehorse, 
who has two wins, one second, one third and a fifth to her name.
We own a small part - like a tail!
We are hoping 2014 is her year...
Lucky/Auspicious Year of the Horse! (馬年吉祥, mǎ nián jí xiáng) 
Do you know if you are born in the Year of the Horse?
Here are the years:
19301942195419661978199020022014
If you are born in one of these years they say you are clever, kind, animated and energetic. You might talk too much but you are cheerful, perceptive, talented and love to be in the centre of a crowd. 

People born in the Year of the Horse

Chopin, Clint Eastwood, Nelson Mandela, Isaac Newton, Barbara Streisand, Oprah Winfrey, Paul McCartney, Rembrandt and Genghis Khan. 

We recently went to visit Miss Hussy who has been out at grass all summer, following the disappointing 5th place in her last race.  She has just come back into training and we were happy to see how much she'd grown on her holidays!
She is impossible to photograph, she is all snorts, pawing at the ground. You can see the swishing tail above. The day we stopped by, she was in the horse walker and was taken out to be shown to us. She was not best pleased, you could tell. She knows the routine, a stretch of the legs, followed by dinner. This 'show and tell' was an unwelcome interruption to her schedule...
Take the lead upon the horse!  (一馬當先, yī mǎ dāng xiān) 
She is not interested in the grass, don't forget she's had that in unlimited supplies over her hols, but she chomps impatiently away on the dirt, happy for the minerals. We pay a shed load of money to ensure she has the finest oats around, and she is happy as a pig in mud chowing down on dirt?????
This reminds me of a Chinese saying which I like, 

“A good horse never turns its head to eat the grass behind.”

So, look ahead, not back...


Instant success when the horse arrives! (馬到成功, mǎ dào chéng gong)
Here is Miss Hussy amongst her stablemates, she's blurred in the foreground. 
Not still ever for a minute, it's the racehorse in her - ha ha!
Do you know what sign of the Chinese zodiac animal you are? 
Are you a charming Snake, a witty Monkey or maybe like me a friendly Rabbit? 
Good Luck Little Miss H - Wishing you a prosperous and healthy 2014!
In the meantime wishing you a wonderful Year of the Horse
Kong Hei Fat Choi -  May you be prosperous.

Now where did I put that lucky Horseshoe?

Linking with Blue Monday
Thank you Sally I hope you spotted the blue headcollar?

Smiling Sally
Linking with Our World Tuesday
Thank you to all the hosts Arija, Gattina, Lady D, Sylvia, Sandy, Jennifer



Thank you to Eileen for the Saturday's Critters meme




PS If you would like to read more about Little Miss Hussy:
Cor Blimey - our Nag won!!! 17th April 2013
Proving she's not just a once in a blue moon horse...   Tuesday, 30 April 2013
You win some... you lose some....      Monday, 13 May 2013
Cranbourne Barrier Trial - no trial, no barrier for Little Miss Hussy  Thursday, 15 August 2013
Victorian Spring Racing Carnival - Feeling blue at the races.    Thursday, 17 October 2013


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anyone for Tennis?

At the Australian Open qualifying tournament... 

Are you ready for the first Grand Slam of the year? The Aus Open starts next week (Monday 13th - Sunday 26 January) but Melbourne is already in full swing (ha ha) with tennis players and tennis action. 


You can pay to watch some of the top seeded Men's players in action at the Kooyong Classic, just down the road. Or, you can join me for what I say is one of the best value tennis, indeed let's say sporting tickets in the world. The Australian Open qualifying tournament (Jan 8 -11), where you can wander in for free. Yes free!

The 'Qualies' is one of the secret treasures of the Aus Open where players compete and must win matches on three consecutive days to secure one of the last remaining spots in the main draw.
For the past seven years we have been a host family for tennis players, which is how we have become so familiar with the highs and lows of this lead up event... 
So would you like a sneak peak inside Melbourne Park, whi…

Keep Calm And Birthday On!

So far I'm onto my fourth country celebrating my birthday. Usually, I don't fuss much about birthdays, I'm not one for the big girls night out, or to treat myself with a big splurge... 
But this year is different. I've moved country. I now have a new visa in my passport enabling me to stay in the Kingdom of Thailand until May 2018. I'm away from the kids and the dog and Mr Wren looked at his work calendar, scratched his head and declared a meeting with dinner on my birthday.

I thought for a moment about pulling the old 'I can't believe you've got a meeting with dinner on my birthday AND it's International Women's Day' complaint, but wait a moment, no... That's a perfect excuse to celebrate with everyone, everywhere! 
'Hey, but I thought you said  you never bothered much about birthdays...'
I can hear him call out as I am part way to booking a flight to Malaysia and using all his Airmiles for a return trip to the UK!

He's right, I&#…

Bangkok Blogger

Life is not about finding ourselves it is about creating ourselves! George Bernard Shaw

Cooee! It's me calling in from Thailand. Sorry, it's been a while, it's been a tad busy. Still, we've not done badly. We've moved into our temporary apartment and are well on the way to finding something more permanent. We're overlooking the American Embassy compound, which is acres of impressive greenery in amongst the high rise buildings. I love it, I can even hear the little birds sing in the morning.
So welcome to my new life as .... drum roll please, Hmmm actually, I have no bleedin’ idea, so how about Bangkok Blogger for now?
How would you feel if you were to arriving in a new country, where you know no-one, and you're not even sure what your life will entail? For me, it was a feeling of excitement, crossed with a rolling of the eyes, a smile and my 'here we go again' expression. 
Of course, this always happens Mr Wren was away travelling and so I rocked up for …