Skip to main content

January Jottings

January is my favourite month in Melbourne. 
It's summer and 
We are on holiday,
The city is quiet, like Paris in August.

I have not quite got used to the seasons being upside down, 
I still struggle with a warm Christmas. 
Having been born and brought up in chilly Britain, 
Christmas feels weird here.

However when January comes, I'm fully Aussie. 
No post festive season blues here.
Santa might be crying all the way to the check-out,
but I'm smiling and life's good.


In early January a water lily flowered in our garden
It's cheerful petals unfolding into the sunshine
It appeared out of nowhere
Beautiful, delicate, exotic, perfectly formed 
and in my pond!!

I take it's flowering as symbol of new life
and wonder what 2014 will hold for us?
It will be a year of big change for our family
Daughter No 1 is off to volunteer in Africa
Daughter No 2 moves to New York
It's my sons final year of school
New jobs are on the horizon
And me?
Well I'm off to Bali on a yoga retreat in May to cope!

The lotus flower appearing in our pond
Very Zen, I feel,
In Asia the flowering of the lotus symbolises absolute real truth and purity.
I wonder whether this flower is a sign, 
Are we off to Asia?


January is all about sport for us, 
we are of course living in the self proclaimed sporting capital of Australia.
There is much to choose from whether it is cricket, soccer or tennis.
We don't flee the city in January in search of beaches like many
We stay for the Tennis.

We put everything on hold, and don't plan for much.
Our city fills with visitors.
Melbourne is looking good.
We spend our days watching tennis,
 either at the site, or more likely  
watching the on court action
glued to the television 

Last night we watched wonderful Wawrinka 
beat the defending Champion Novak Djokovich. 
It was a wow wow wee match.
Stan's the Man.


Happily it was cool last night (only 18 degrees C)
Last week our temperatures soared into the 40's (over 100 in Fahrenheit)
We had four days of extreme heat, 
it barely dropped at night.
Melbourne was on a knife edge 
our electricity infrastructure was barely able to cope with the peak demand.
Luckily we weren't one of the houses affected by power cuts
By last Thursday there were over seventy bush fires
 burning out of control across the State.

Jan 2014 was going to be one of those years 
that people talked about for years...

At the tennis, play continued.
Players braved horrendous conditions on court.
In ten years of watching the Aussie Open, 
I have never seen Melbourne Park so empty on occasions.

Players needed to be adjusted to the severe Aussie climate and
have an even greater than usual steely determination to win.
For me it is no surprise that new players have emerged 
and other old names have fallen by the wayside.

The crazy poodle in sunnies.
The Crazy Poodle is not best pleased with January, 
despite his summer clip, he is hot and bothered. 
His normal routine of walks disrupted. 
Last week we had to leave him outside 
Yes, you've guessed it we went to the tennis!
We lined the floor of his kennel with ice blocks to keep him cool.

This weekend is our Australian Day celebration.
It will be a fun day
We have  citizenship ceremony to attend
Can't wait...

Except that after Australia day, 
School goes back and then we're into February
It gets really, really hot in February
 January is better!

  J is for January Jottings
Thank you for Jenny Matlock for hosting
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anyone for Tennis?

At the Australian Open qualifying tournament... 

Are you ready for the first Grand Slam of the year? The Aus Open starts next week (Monday 13th - Sunday 26 January) but Melbourne is already in full swing (ha ha) with tennis players and tennis action. 


You can pay to watch some of the top seeded Men's players in action at the Kooyong Classic, just down the road. Or, you can join me for what I say is one of the best value tennis, indeed let's say sporting tickets in the world. The Australian Open qualifying tournament (Jan 8 -11), where you can wander in for free. Yes free!

The 'Qualies' is one of the secret treasures of the Aus Open where players compete and must win matches on three consecutive days to secure one of the last remaining spots in the main draw.
For the past seven years we have been a host family for tennis players, which is how we have become so familiar with the highs and lows of this lead up event... 
So would you like a sneak peak inside Melbourne Park, whi…

Keep Calm And Birthday On!

So far I'm onto my fourth country celebrating my birthday. Usually, I don't fuss much about birthdays, I'm not one for the big girls night out, or to treat myself with a big splurge... 
But this year is different. I've moved country. I now have a new visa in my passport enabling me to stay in the Kingdom of Thailand until May 2018. I'm away from the kids and the dog and Mr Wren looked at his work calendar, scratched his head and declared a meeting with dinner on my birthday.

I thought for a moment about pulling the old 'I can't believe you've got a meeting with dinner on my birthday AND it's International Women's Day' complaint, but wait a moment, no... That's a perfect excuse to celebrate with everyone, everywhere! 
'Hey, but I thought you said  you never bothered much about birthdays...'
I can hear him call out as I am part way to booking a flight to Malaysia and using all his Airmiles for a return trip to the UK!

He's right, I&#…

Bangkok Blogger

Life is not about finding ourselves it is about creating ourselves! George Bernard Shaw

Cooee! It's me calling in from Thailand. Sorry, it's been a while, it's been a tad busy. Still, we've not done badly. We've moved into our temporary apartment and are well on the way to finding something more permanent. We're overlooking the American Embassy compound, which is acres of impressive greenery in amongst the high rise buildings. I love it, I can even hear the little birds sing in the morning.
So welcome to my new life as .... drum roll please, Hmmm actually, I have no bleedin’ idea, so how about Bangkok Blogger for now?
How would you feel if you were to arriving in a new country, where you know no-one, and you're not even sure what your life will entail? For me, it was a feeling of excitement, crossed with a rolling of the eyes, a smile and my 'here we go again' expression. 
Of course, this always happens Mr Wren was away travelling and so I rocked up for …