Skip to main content

Alice In Oxford


This year marks the 150 Anniversary of 

Lewis Carroll's children's book Alice in Wonderland


Now where to start?
“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.” 

If your name is Alice, or you have long blond hair and a blue dress 

you would have been entirely at home in Oxford last weekend.

There were Alices everywhere...

150 to be precise, all there to celebrate 'Alice's Day'



“Curiouser and curiouser!” 
― Lewis Carroll,  Alice in Wonderland


But as I have now been joined in the UK by my daughters,
we are back to the "don't be embarrassing Mother" comments
and I am banned from photographing every gorgeous young Alice!

“Well, I never heard it before, but it sounds uncommon nonsense.” 
― Lewis CarrollAlice in Wonderland


Alice's Day is an annual Oxford event 
of Mad Hatters tea parties, croquet, story telling and workshops 
celebrating Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, which was dreamt up on a summers day in Oxford in 1862.



We were actually not in Oxford for Alice, but to end the debate brought on by daughter No 1's boyfriend who knows Cambridge well over which is better Oxford or Cambridge?

“Off with their heads!” 
― Lewis CarrollAlice in Wonderland

I am biased, having grown up living close to Oxford.
Of course Oxford is better than Cambridge, it's certainly better than Swindon!

Well... we actually lived closer to Swindon Town.
But out of the UK no one has ever heard of Swindon, 
so I am teased by Mr Wren for telling everyone I come from near Oxford.

In the UK, the concrete kingdom of Swindon is known for it's
railway and manufacturing, and nothing more exciting than the 
Magic Roundabout, a roundabout with six mini-roundabouts in it.

So let's just say Swindon is the rather unglamourous, 
ugly poor relation to Oxford without the history, 
the University connections, or the gorgeous buildings of Oxford.



And so, public disclaimer, that is why I say we lived near Oxford!





Now with Daughter No 1 and her boyfriend
 working for a charity based outside Cambridge
we have two hours, with no particular plan but to impress 
and show off the delights of Oxford. 

“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there” 
― Lewis Carroll,  Alice in Wonderland

It is a perfect British summers day.
Thankfully slightly cooler than the heatwave that swept the country earlier in the week, and we join the crowds, speaking many tongues,
  wandering in this beautiful city.


“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to."
"I don't much care where –"
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go.” 

It's hard not to be impressed by either Oxford or Cambridge
But rather than ramble on with this hard to win argument
I'll just say 
both Oxford and Cambridge are gorgeous 
and I think I'll leave it here for today.
Ice-cream anyone or how about a nice cup of tea?!



Sorry I can't stop...
I'm late, I'm late for a very important date...
Come and join in the 8th Annual Tea Party fun 
with over 100 bloggers at A Fanciful Twist thanks to Vanessa
Must dash!


“Have I gone mad?

I'm afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usually are.” 



Linking with thanks at 


Alice in Wonderland quotes from goodreads.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat