Skip to main content

Bali yoga searching for inner peace!

I am a Yoga teachers worst nightmare...
Whilst I've booked the BALI holiday with a yoga retreat,
others have booked a YOGA retreat in Bali.

I'm drawn to yoga 
because I have a dodgy knee, and can no longer run,
Others are drawn to yoga 
after life has thrown them some very curved balls.


Whilst I'm a 
'Come on Inner Peace, I don't have all day' 
sort of yogic... 
others have bounced straight here from a week long pranayama and meditation journey to personal self discovery in Queensland.
And little old Wren? Well,
she has just wandered in, for the holiday!

At the end of the day none of this mattered.
Our yoga teachers were skilled in making the week the best for each of us 
I had a great time and a few giggles along the way...

One of our yoga studios at Ananada Cottages, Ubud
Whilst others turn up with professional yoga mats and all the gismos.
I arrive with an old aerobic mat chosen specially 
because it is light, and fits in my suitcase.

A good move, so I thought as my Melbourne mat is 
a 3.9kg Lululemon heavyweight beauty 
and without it, well 
let's just say I have more space and weight allowance for 
the important things of life ... like shopping!

However because it actually says "aerobics mat' on one side,
and I don't want to look like I'm stuck in a Jane Fonda 1980's time warp,
I turn my mat face down. 

I was pretty unaware what a catastrophe this would cause
as I have now turned my yoga mat into a yogic snowboard.
I can just about keep grounded in Happy Baby pose,
 or at a push in a Sun Salutation,
but any mention of adopting the Warrior poses
and I've taken off 
sliding across the floor, to join up with my rather surprised teacher 
like an un co-ordinated gazelle!

I feel like yelling out "Ta-ra" as I arrive 
but it may not impress my group,
even if I'm secretly rather proud of remaining upright on my mat... Ta-ra!!



Of course I'm the only one in the Group who has succumbed to Bali Belly.
Not that I'm competitive (much) 
but I'm also the only participant in the entire week,
who takes the given option for a restorative pose
... for a whole lesson.
Well at least I stay flat on my back in mountain pose, 
for most of the lesson, before I leave quickly... 
afraid I might disgrace myself.

There is absolutely no way to leave in a hurry from a yoga class quietly, 
as I run out scattering blocks, straps, 
my special lavender and lemongrass eye mask 
which seemed like a good idea on purchase, 
but now it's strong scent makes me want to vomit...
My room key, water and all the other paraphernalia needed to 
achieve a perfect relaxation...
I feel bad!


Luckily my Bali belly passes and I return to my old energy levels.
Keen to redeem myself
I vouch to turn myself into a model student
and to make a super human effort to be present in the moment.

I few days later we are invited to leave our mats and ground ourselves in the 
beauty of our Bali setting.
I'm up, keen.
Engrossed in the 'here and now' I set off
focussing on the ducks on the horizon.
I walk watching their every movement.
The ducks form a perfect line and waddle along the edge of the paddy field
They are white, one stops stretches and flaps it's wings,
The sun is setting and it's magical.
My hand rests on the frame of the building looking out.
Oh yeah, baby I have this yogic 'in the moment' under control...

I sneak a proud look back at my teacher, and to my horror
see the rest of the class has yet to leave their mats.
They are moving with such slow deliberate, precision
They won't be anywhere near half way to the edge of the room by Christmas
'Oh come on', I want to yell
'Get over here and enjoy the ducks!'


The moment is lost, I look down at the shoes
all neatly paired in the doorway
except mine...

If you have enjoyed this post you might like to read my earlier Bali posts having my bio dynamic energy analysis or on getting my knickers in a twist at a Bali Spa




Linking with Alphabe Thursday
B is for Bali!





Linking with Make My Saturday Sweet thanks to Tina



Amanda’s Books and More

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat