Skip to main content

We're off and flying here in Thailand!

Hello everyone - how are you doing? 

All is good with us here in Bangkok, Thailand. Across the globe, there seems such a diversity of people's lives and living at present don't you think? 

Our Aussie friends and family in Melbourne, are now sadly back in their second period of COVID-19 lockdown. They are looking across the borders into the other states, and other parts of the world, wishing they had the same happy freedoms. 

Do you like this sign I spotted this week? I am hoping you too, are far away from stress, anger, traffic misery and worries!


Signpost on the holiday island of Koh Yao Noi

Our British friends and family have been cautiously re-emerging back into life on the outside, the word pub has even been mentioned. My Mum is doing a roaring trade, making and selling face masks for a good cause.  

Then there is us in Thailand. 

Thailand has received international praise for it's handling of the pandemic with less than 60 deaths as of July 1. We are carefully getting back to our normal lives, as always with our masks too. The new cases that are reported of COVID-19 are arrivals from overseas with diplomatic immunity. 

Don't get me started on this. Thailand is really strict on its 14-day mandatory quarantine, except a handful of exemptions. Who come in and go shopping in the shopping centres!

Gold, gold and more gold at Bangkok's Grand Palace

On our roads, our traffic jams are sadly back but our skies are mostly clear from aircraft (there is only a handful of international arrivals) and the lack of pollution is wonderful! Without the tourists, we are seeing our city in a whole new light. We have never had the Grand Palace all to ourselves like this.

An unusual sight a deserted Grand Palace, Bangkok, Thailand

There are however many businesses bars, hotels and nightclubs who are waiting to reopen for a decision on when the tourists will be allowed back in. Tourism has been hit hard, it accounts for 15 -20% of GDP and no international tourist arrivals since March. We are seeing a whole heap of places, smaller shops, and some hotels who look doubtful whether they will ever return. 

The devasting effect that the closure of Thailand is having on the economy and its people is expected to drive millions below the poverty line. 

On the surface, everything looks fine and golden around the city. However underneath all the gold, who knows? Time will tell. 

We are keeping calm and doing our bit for domestic tourism by travelling on...

Our first flight in four months 

Thank you for all the lovely comments on my last post. Buoyed with the knowledge that you enjoy virtual travel with me and that it's not too dispiriting for those of you homebound, I will share some photos of my recent wanderings. 


We decided to take the plunge and get back to flying. You can read my report on What it's like to fly domestically in Thailand here

So I will leave you with a few photos and a fun menu I spotted on the day we heard Melbourne was back in lockdown - it was time for all of us to have a stiff G & T!


TreeHouse Villas - Koh Yao Noi

How about Treehouse Villas for a fun place to stay? We stayed next door at a place called Paradise. One day I will come back here to stay for sure!


Paradise is on the Andaman Sea in Phang Nga Bay. Famous for its breathtaking landscapes and diverse flora and fauna. You can read more about our adventures with the animals taking back nature on my Littlewanderingwren Instagram here



Here is a little peek into what life was like in Paradise, look at those views!


I hope you have enjoyed wandering Thailand with me, from where ever you are reading. As always, it's been lovely having you along. Be over to visit you at yours soon. Chat soon!





Comments

Crimson Kettle said…
It's good to hear that both sets of your family are well despite the virus problems and that you're out and about making the most of beautiful Thailand, what a wonderful place. x
Bob Bushell said…
Beautiful pictures taken by you. The Treehouse is a wonderful.
eileeninmd said…
Hello Wren,

I am so glad you, your family and Thailand are doing well concerning Covid. It is great to hear you are traveling again, flying too. The trip sounds awesome, what a pretty place. Take care! Have a great day and happy week ahead.
Jeanie said…
I'm glad to hear you are all doing well and that Thailand is on the mend from Covid. Well done, Thailand! We could use a lesson or two on that here. The next wave is going to probably cripple much of our economy in terms of closed businesses and unemployement and the way that's going it could be sooner rather than later.

Take care, my friend, stay well. I'm glad you can travel again!
So nice to read that you are all doing well in Thailand.
I enjoyed your photographs.

Take care.

All the best Jan
mvmaithai said…
I love all your pictures, especially the signpost, the gin and treehouse.

Family in Paris also took the opportunity to visit the Eiffel Tower, first time with no lines!

Like Melbourne, some states here, namely Florida, California and Texas, are imposing lockdowns on certain business, beaches, etc as cases have spiked up. Good news today - promising results on vaccine for Covid-19 to start final phase of testing!

Meantime, stay safe and be well.
Margaret D said…
Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog - it's nice to see you again.
It's pleasing life is returning back to some normality in your area.
Yes, Melbourne is a bit of a problem at the moment, hopefully it will improve by the end of next week.
We here on the Island are ok so far.
Good to see your lovely photos and to know that you are ok.
Take care.
Sami said…
So happy that Thailand is doing well virus wise and that you've been able to enjoy a local holiday.
The photos look stunning. Love that first sign too, so cute.
Keep well Wren
Rosie said…
Good to hear from you again and that Thailand is doing well too. I am glad you were able to enjoy your flights without too many hassles. Thanks for sharing.
Cynthia said…
Paradise is a very apt name. It looks so peaceful and lovely and I’m so glad for those who are able to travel again. As for the U.S., our part of it especially with the third highest rate of covid cases per capita in the WORLD, it is feeling rather hopeless. With the leadership of our country and our state, the news every morning is worse and worse. I admit, I am getting more and more resentful of the time that we are housebound for the cause of “personal freedom” and greed too many find more compelling than common sense, science, kindness, etc. Ah, well. The golden palace is simply amazing and the treehouse lodge is a dream! Travel on, Wren!
Janice said…
Thanks for allowing us to tag along on your adventures. I may have to may that menu for my son. He enjoys creating all sorts of cocktails. Stay safe and keep flying LWW.
DeniseinVA said…
This looks like absolute Paradise! Thank you for letting us travel along with you. I really could step into every one of your photos :)
I'm enjoying the virtual travel as well, great photos. And it is great to hear that things are improving in Thailand. It is pretty bad around here, our numbers of infected have never been higher and the worst is the feeling that our government doesn't have a clue, there are new regulations almost every day and then they are changed. We live in hope.
Amalia
xo
So fun to have a peek into your world, albeit much changed from what it was. The same can be said for pretty much everywhere it seems. I fear that many of the small businesses here will be forced to close, if they haven't already. Right now our Prairie provinces are suffering from large amounts of rain which is ruining the crops in the fields and here it's hot and very dry which is also ruining the crops. Another contributing factor to the rise in our prices for food. Mask wearing is becoming more and more prevalent here, particularly when indoors. The restaurants are slowly opening up but at very reduced capacity with strict social distancing practices in place. Of course those of us who are doing our part are horrified when we hear on the news about house parties of sometimes hundreds of young people who seem to think they are invincible and are chaffing at the rules. It's certainly a different world!
Wonderful post. I have bookmarked your post in my web browser. I have get here informative information here. Thanks for share with us. Thanks so much.
MICHAEL JAY said…
I saw a comment here a few weeks ago about Dr Akhere and i decided to contact him as instructed, thanks to this man for bringing joy to me as wished for. i followed instructions which he gave in other to get my lover back who left me and the kids for 3years now, but thanks to Dr Akhere because they are back to me now for good and we are happy together. please do contact him for help too if in relationship problem via email at: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346 . And testify for yourself.



























































I saw a comment here a few weeks ago about Dr Akhere and i decided to contact him as instructed, thanks to this man for bringing joy to me as wished for. i followed instructions which he gave in other to get my lover back who left me and the kids for 3years now, but thanks to Dr Akhere because they are back to me now for good and we are happy together. please do contact him for help too if in relationship problem via email at: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346 . And testify for yourself.

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat