Skip to main content

Good, Random, Fun in Bangkok



Hello everyone, how are you today? I hope you are keeping well in these strange Coronavirus times. All is good with us in Thailand, we are still socially distancing at home. So for a little distraction thank you for joining me for some Good, Random, Fun!


The Matriarch - BlackWhiteandMax

Good



I love the way our COVID-19 lockdowns across the world have started a flurry of communications with friends and family across the globe. 

Today I have a Zoom conference call with the D-block girls. Us D-block girls were thrown together in university dorms back in the day. If we all make the call, this will be the first time we have all been together since the late 1980s!

We have also been invited to join House Party meetups with our kids in Australia and Europe. Between this, and WhatsApp calls, which always seem to have the video turned on, there is nowhere to hide.

Under the Bangkok Sun - BlackWhiteandMax

Random

Anyone else finding the pressure of all these video calls is doing wonders for NOT slobbing around in your trackie daks all day? 

Not only am I dressing smarter than usual, (no need to worry about being a Sweaty Betty when life is totally indoors...) I think I've used more lippy since I've been social distancing than ever before in my life. I feel like I'm prepping for each call like I'm going on TV!

Makeup lights, camera, action.... or am I just being shallow?

Under the Bangkok Moon - BlackwhiteandMax

With Thai social distancing requests, many are coping with husbands working from home. It is fair to say that most of us live here in Thailand in smaller city apartments than perhaps we might have back in our home countries. 

There have been some fun stories of friends crawling on their bellies to avoid being seen on the work video conference calls whilst desperately needing something from the room that has now been turned into a makeshift office. 
Sound familiar?


Are you managing to avoid video calls?


Olive- BlackWhiteandMax


The @VeryBritishProblems Twitter feed never ceases to give me a giggle. This week they discuss various video call background personalities. 

Here are a few I liked:
  • I am very smart - Lots of unread books
  • Stay out of my private life - A blank off-white wall
  • Wild child - Garden
  • Harry Potter - A small cupboard
  • Wine drinker - Kitchen worktop
  • I have kids - Locked echoing bathroom 
  • I don't care anymore - Bathroom
  • I am not dressed - In front of a brightly lit window in silhouette
  • Virtual background - I understand settings
  • I'm important - Map of the world on the wall
  • Total knobhead - Certificates freshly displayed on the wall 
I tend to sit at our dining room table and can create two backgrounds. Certain days I'm all for the I'm a Zen Wren look. I love my Landlord's calming Buddha which you can see here.


If I sit on the other side of the table, however, I get the I'm a boozy Wren and up for a party backdrop! 

This is rather apt at present as the Thai Government has just extended our alcohol ban here in Bangkok from the original dates of 10-20 April, until the end of the month.

Just another Saturday Night - BlackWhiteandMax
We have a little shop here in our apartment building and the other day as I bought up ALL the remaining tonic water. I did wonder whether I was being socially irresponsible? As you can see we have enough gin!




What does your background say about you?

Fun
Let me introduce you to BlackWhiteandMax as seen as part of my Blogging from A-Z Challenge on Little Wandering Wren's travel blog

Here I am excited to bring you the wonders of Thailand through photographs, travel ideas and suggestions of myself and some brilliant guest bloggers.
This week, Thailand is seen through the pen and ink drawings of Maxine Margolis, Bangkok resident and creator of the stylish and unique accessory company BlackWhiteandMax.
Max and I exploring off the beaten track Thailand with our BlackWhiteAndMax tote bags.

GIVEAWAY

I would love to send some BlackWhiteandMax love out into the world. Every one of you that stops by to say hello in the comments at Littlewanderingwren.com will be included in our BlackwhiteandMax giveaway, to win a BlackwhiteandMax tote bag of your choice.
Hope to see you there! 
To subscribe and follow along at LittleWanderingwren.com click here 
Have a great week everyone!


Linking with thanks to Good, Random, Fun


Comments

eileeninmd said…
Hello Wren
I enjoyed your post and images. I am glad you are doing well there.
Your background for the video call looks beautiful. Take care, enjoy your day and week ahead.
Dee said…
I'm not sure WHAT my background would say ......my computer is in the guest bedroom and you would just see THE BED! YIKES.

I do love the orchid vase you have. When I lived in Florida I had orchids just like that one in the picture.

Hope you have a great day and are hanging in there through all this craziness.
Janice said…
My background is usually the kitchen area of our tiny apartment. I seem to be always sitting which adds a good 25 lbs. to the camera. Or maybe I have been a bit close to the kitchen for too long!

The BlackandWhite Max items are wonderful. I took my brain a slight reset to see the Matriarch. Then so obvious!
Polly said…
What a great post Wren. I hope your D-block call went well, all those years to catch up with. I had a good laugh at your lipstick comment. I've only worn make-up once since the lockdown started - to go to the pharmacy!! Most days I wear ok clothes, but when I'm gardening I'm scruffy. I love your list of background personalities! I'm not sure what mine would be, at the moment I'm in the kitchen still in my pajamas, later I will be in the craft room working on a dolls house, and even later in the family room or lounge. I am drinking slightly more alcohol though!! Stay safe.
Jeanie said…
Hi Wren -- we've hardly videoed at all. Maybe that's a good thing. I worry I'll run out of wine...

I just learned not long ago that your background didn't have to be your house. I love looking at people's spaces -- the dog that walks through the kitchen completely captivated me during a news report today. I'll have to check out some of the others.

And now, off to your other site!
Well I guess I would have to say my background for video chats would reflect me pretty well - it's a three panel piece made up of 12 crazy quilt blocks. If I were to swing around the other way (which would mean I'd have to move my computer desk entirely!) you would see two of my barn landscapes. Suffice to say I'm surrounded by what I do! Love the images you shared on this post (and glad to hear you're doing well).
Cynthia said…
I tend to do our video backgrounds outdoors as it’s such a pretty time of year in our yard. Lots of green and blooming flowers beat anything indoors! What I need is a tripod or something for a better angle as all handheld shots are either up or down my nose. Not my best side! Funny — here the liquor shops are considered essential business and never had to close! Some are even dispensing their wares from the parking lot so you don’t have to risk going into the shop. I love the blackandwhitemax bags!
Himawan Sant said…
Interesting everyday stories.
I would like to know more about your next story in Thailand.

Have a nice days and greetings from Indonesia
mvmaithai said…
Great to hear you got together with your University friends via Zoom. When I had that party in Bangkok, it was with childhood friends; we were in school together from grade 1 to 9. Met the rest of our classmates in Malaysia, a couple of whom returned from Perth and Melbourne. The last time I met with them was 19 years ago.

We use Skype, and usually turn off the video to use less bandwidth, and when we are not properly attired. Not sure if you can do that with WhatsApp, as we just got on board with the app.

Liquor stores are opened here, as they are deemed essential businesses. Wonder if Australia feels the same way?

Looking forward to your next edition of Little Wandering Wren. Stay well!
E
Angela said…
Beautiful photos. Hope you have a great week!! Stay safe!
Hello, my friend!

I like the boozy background...lol..and share a love for that same brand of gin! In all seriousness, it has been nice having an occasional Zoom conference with some of my old and new friends as we are staying home most of the time and missing everyone. I did chance a few get together with grandchildren and children, but we've all been mainly staying home so we felt it was safe. When the grandchildren go back to school in August that might come to an end as there will be more exposure. I have a grandson named Max, so I especially love those drawings and bags! Stay safe and healthy!
MICHAEL JAY said…
I saw a comment here a few weeks ago about Dr Akhere and i decided to contact him as instructed, thanks to this man for bringing joy to me as wished for. i followed instructions which he gave in other to get my lover back who left me and the kids for 3years now, but thanks to Dr Akhere because they are back to me now for good and we are happy together. please do contact him for help too if in relationship problem via email at: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346 . And testify for yourself.



























































I saw a comment here a few weeks ago about Dr Akhere and i decided to contact him as instructed, thanks to this man for bringing joy to me as wished for. i followed instructions which he gave in other to get my lover back who left me and the kids for 3years now, but thanks to Dr Akhere because they are back to me now for good and we are happy together. please do contact him for help too if in relationship problem via email at: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346 . And testify for yourself.

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat