Skip to main content

Walking in the rain

Hello, hello how's everyone doing? All's good here in Bangkok. 

We're riding out the rainy season and I feel thankful the end is nearly in sight. 
Thailand needed rain badly, then we got floods.
As the saying goes 'it never rains, but it pours' and that is certainly true here at the moment.

I'm not complaining, I always like to see the rains, it makes things grow.
My 2019 rainy season, like the little seeds in the ground, has been a good season for me. Since my recent Tourism Authority of Thailand blog winners trip, I have been very fortunate to receive other offers for product development trips with the Thailand tourism industry. I have been asked to write in magazines and I'm enjoying speaking at coffee mornings at the various Thailand Women's Associations. 

I'm loving this feeling of personal growth and development.

'When will you begin your long journey into yourself?' - Rumi




But let's go back to the time when it all began and we're in a drought. I'm in drought, it's been hard to replace a fulfilled and busy Australian life. My work and volunteering with refugees and people seeking asylum taught me many things. 

'Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, 
it's about learning to dance in the rain'

This year Thailand (and parts of Australia too) have been in a drought. It's been the worse drought in living memory in the northern and northeastern Thai provinces. 

Our rains have generally been lighter than in previous years and we have all been advised by the Thai Government to use water conservatively and efficiently. Although the papers say it is not personal use that is the problem, but unregulated agricultural water, which accounts for 70 percent of national water usage.

We saw the water shortages first hand on a recent trip, as this picture will show, taken in July. It is of the Klong Than Dan Dam in Nakhon Nayok province a couple of hours outside of Bangkok. Here you can see the watermarks and tree lines where the reservoir should be. 





It is no surprise that Thailand's 447 dams and reservoirs nationwide are quoted at this time as being only about 48 percent full.

The Thai Agricultural Minister Thammanas was reported informing the public that the government will try to stimulate rain through artificial rain-making. I always read such things with immense fascination. It's shades of the Beijing Olympics climate control all over...

The rains came all right and we ended up with floods. In contrast to the fields of parched crops, areas in the northern provinces of Thailand have been inundated. The pictures of the sad flooded areas this week have filled our papers and national news.

The European Commission reports

'Following Tropical Storm PODUL and Tropical Depression KAJIKI's passage, widespread floods have affected 32 Thai provinces since the end of August. Ubon Ratchathani, Yasothon, Roi Et, and Sisaket Provinces are the most affected and still in critical conditions.


According to media reports, as of 19 September, 33 people are confirmed dead, 23,000 have been evacuated and 418,000 affected. At least 4,000 houses and 325,000 hectares of crops have been destroyed'.


Here in Bangkok, we've witnessed some of the biggest thunderstorms I've seen in my three years. As I type this, we're in the mother of all storms. When our monsoonal rains hit, watch out world. Luckily we're home and dry this time, but this is not always the case. 

When it rains in Bangkok the roads seem to flood very easily and I always have the greatest respect for people who keep going on flooded roads on their motorcycles! 

The infill and development of land over Bangkok's land and klongs (canals) are often blamed for our lack of adequate drainage, but these tropical storms are causing flash flooding that I reckon would be tricky for most cities to deal with.


Who loves the rain? Generally, I don't mind being out in the rain. Here in Asia, we learn to always carry an umbrella, or to make sure that to carry a spare pair of plastic shoes for those just in case 'I am caught out in the rain' moments.

I recently joined other bloggers and travelled to Nan province in Northern Thailand. It was part of a product testing trip for a soon to be released guidebook aimed at solo women travellers called 'Me, Myself and Thailand'.






Our itinerary was changed due to the weather and flooding in the region and when we arrived at Wat Sri Mongkol it was absolutely bucketing down. 

The organisers were very apologetic. We were even asked whether we wanted to get out of the bus. Of course, I do. It's just a spot of rain!




And dressed in a hastily given beautiful pink plastic mac and retrieving my plastic "Crocs" can go anywhere shoes. I'm off and manage to capture the sheer beauty of arriving at this amazing temple ahead of our entourage.

There is a small bamboo village in the middle of a rice field and as we all stood undercover looking out on it, I got chatting to one of the organisers.


'Never say sorry for the rain', I told her. 
'We need the rain for the crops to grow, 
'We need the rain for us all to grow'. 




She started telling me how she loved my Little Wandering Wren blog for its enthusiasm and natural zest for life and was saying quite possibly the nicest things that anyone, certainly the leader of one of Thailand's foremost tourism and marketing companies could say...

And I walked away. 

I just got the weirdest feeling that I needed to go and walk in the rain out in the fields. I knew that the clock was ticking and soon we'd have to get back on the bus and I felt the earth was calling!

As I walked on that slippery bamboo path, my feet held firm. I pondered what I had just done. I felt like an amazing heavy door had opened in my life and all the anguish of leaving Australia, and last years sickness and injury was all behind me. In front of me, could be a future as a travel writer and blogger and Thailand was saying


'come and dance in the rain'

Or, had I just stuffed up and walked away from possibly the best offer I was never going to get? 

They were all waiting for me back on the bus. A drowned Wren rat dressed in a pink Gladwrap, Clingfilm coat. What a picture I must have looked.

I felt calm.


Three more trips were offered that week...

I've pondered that moment since. I knew I had to be true to myself. Travel is all about finding a connection. Solo women's travel is about getting off the bus and going out on your own. Finding your own path is so important in life. Oh blimey, when did I get so deep?

Oh, I'm so excited to write all about this for my post on Solo Women's Travel and you won't believe what happened next? I'm saving that for another rainy day!

Who else has been walking in the rain recently, do tell? The good, the bad and the indifferent!

Have a great week everyone.



You can find more about my travel adventures here at https://littlewanderingwren.com, on the blog this week we're visiting one of Thailand's foremost centres for Natural Health Medicine. Click here to read. Also, we're off to Thailand's largest dam.

I'd love you to join along and follow me there.




Comments

Cynthia said…
This is why you are such a good adventurer, photographer, and travel writer! You are eager to don the pink plastic wrap raincoat and step away from the bus and out into the rain! I’m happy to follow your new career as solo women’s traveler blogger and follow you ... wherever you go next. And I really, really hope we can meet on an adventure someday!
eileeninmd said…
Congrats on all your new jobs, being a travel writer is exciting. I am glad the rain did not stop you and I am glad the drought is ending. I always enjoy your travel photos and post. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!
Alexandria said…
Also sending congratulations on your new jobs, it is an exciting new adventure! Love reading your blog about life in Thailand. Your photos are so beautiful.
I love to read about your adventures and it's so nice when someone compliments you and your blog! Being true to ourselves is not easy. We always want to please others! I have a plastic bag in my backpack that I carry when I walk for my camera. I've been caught in little showers a few times and since it's so warm here, it was never a problem! Love this post! Makes me happy...and proud of you!
Jeanie said…
I love this more than I can say -- especially your having the door open and walking even though the bus was close to leaving. I'm glad some of that angst of upheaval has eased a bit.

Boy, what gorgeous photos. And oh my! When it rains, it pours there.

Wonderful jobs and they are lucky to have you in their court! Bravo and congratulations!
Congratulations on the new chapter in your life! We were inundated with rain in the spring and then it turned into a very dry summer. Feast or famine it seems! We've had rain the past couple of days to usher in the first days of fall, so who knows what we can expect next.
Lorrie said…
Finding your way in a new chapter takes time. It's good that you were (and are) true to you. Looking forward to reading more.
Angie said…
Wren - I am so happy for you that life is offering personal growth. I am engaged in many small projects right now, and it is fulfilling to make a contribution in a number of ways. One of them relates to climate change, and bringing about a higher utilization of alternative energy sources. Unless we start doing something differently, we will continue to see these extreme weather events! But then, they do present great photo opportunities! Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!
Crimson Kettle said…
That's just fantastic! The truth is you've been doing it for years but it's great to have recognition and some new places to visit even in a pink plastic coat. Wonderful for us too! As I write, we have our own monsoon. x
Crimson Kettle said…
That's just fantastic! The truth is you've been doing it for years but it's great to have recognition and some new places to visit even in a pink plastic coat. Wonderful for us too! As I write, we have our own monsoon. x
Janice said…
Beautifully written, Wren. I could almost feel the raindrops on my legs.
Your photo of the umbrellas inspired me.

flower blooms
unfurling in the sun
a storm gathers

umbrellas glistening
unfurled in the gentle rain

Petra Domina

Keep up the great work and traveling. Those of us grounded travelers are living through your lens and words.

namaste,
Janice
DeniseinVA said…
Great photo of the driver and of the area near the dam. We go to a wetlands and can tell how much rain we have had by the level of their water. The floods in Thailand sound awful and my heart goes out for all the people. I don’t mind the rain but the floods we get in other parts of the country, they can cause horrendous havoc. Your blogger trip sounded wonderful and the scenic shots are stunning. It felt good to read how all your worries disappeared walking on that bamboo path. I’m happy for you. A wonderful read, thank you :)
Linda said…
Interesting post. My daughter was in Bangkok recently, following a business trip to Tokyo. She lives in California but I think Bangkok and Barcelona are her favorite cities.
Sami said…
Great opportunities await you Wren, you are a great writer :)
Even though we had a lot more rain in Perth this winter than in previous winters I can say I hardly ever used an umbrella, as it would usually rain at night. Glad the drought is lifting in Thailand.
Lovely photos of your Solo Women's trip.
That's amazing, many congratulations on all your new jobs, exciting times ahead, I'm so pleased for you.

All the best Jan

PS Lovely post and photographs.
carol l mckenna said…
Oh Wren this such a delightful and joyful post with beautiful photos ~ enjoy your journey and write, write, write ^_^

Happy Day to You,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)
Latane Barton said…
I am just blown away by the courage you have, the inspiration you are. And, I love the fact that you just wandered off, you wandering wren you, and walked in the rain and was just being yourself. I am sorry to say that I haven't been in the rain in forever. Maybe I need to try it. Oh... and i love the pictures of the umbrellas.
Congrats!! Thanks so much for stopping by!
Hugs,
Debbie
MICHAEL JAY said…
I saw a comment here a few weeks ago about Dr Akhere and i decided to contact him as instructed, thanks to this man for bringing joy to me as wished for. i followed instructions which he gave in other to get my lover back who left me and the kids for 3years now, but thanks to Dr Akhere because they are back to me now for good and we are happy together. please do contact him for help too if in relationship problem via email at: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/WhatsApp:+2349057261346 . And testify for yourself.



























































I saw a comment here a few weeks ago about Dr Akhere and i decided to contact him as instructed, thanks to this man for bringing joy to me as wished for. i followed instructions which he gave in other to get my lover back who left me and the kids for 3years now, but thanks to Dr Akhere because they are back to me now for good and we are happy together. please do contact him for help too if in relationship problem via email at: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/WhatsApp:+2349057261346 . And testify for yourself.

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat