Skip to main content

Grand Final Weekend!

It's a big weekend here in Melbourne
It's our Australian Football League Grand Final weekend.


Melbourne Visitors Centre - Flinders Street
Now our team Hawks (Hawthorn FC) were knocked out in a preliminary final
 by everyone's second favourite team the Western Bulldogs 
known locally as the Doggies!


Footscray Bulldogs Street Art
The Dogs have not made a Grand Final for fifty-five years.
Their opposition the Sydney Swans are no strangers to a Grand Final 
making for a fantastic Melbourne-Sydney tension. We love that rivalry!

If ever there was the time to use the expression the underdogs, 
it's this weekend. Go the Doggies!
The Western Bulldogs herald from Footscray where I work
It is such a great week to see the place decked in red, white and blue.

We have had overseas visitors this weekend and after a hectic week of travel ourselves, we are all happy for Melbourne's public holiday yesterday to celebrate Grand Final Eve. 
As we say only in Melbourne do we get one holiday to celebrate a horse race,
another for a footy match. Woof Woof!


We take our visitors into the city to see the sights and to watch the Grand Final Parade. Melbourne looked fantastic, it was a perfect spring day, warm and sunny and everyone, including all puppy dogs are in good spirits.

Grand Final Street parade, Wellington Street
Sport is central to Melbourne life, 
it is a wonderful way to bring people and dogs together. 

I am sure that every Bulldog in Melbourne 
was brought out for a special guest appearance!
#BemoreBulldog.

Unfortunately, we left our crazy poodle at home
and for that, we're in the doghouse!



Go the Doggies!
Best of luck for today's Grand Final!

Linking with Saturday's Critters - Thanks Eileen
Blue Monday - Thanks Jeanne
Our World Tuesday - Thanks Lady Fi and all the hosts

PS What a screamer of a match - I think the whole country was in tears, one way or another when the Doggies won on Saturday. Brilliant match well done the Western Bulldogs!


If you have enjoyed this you may like to see the previous posts written about the Aussie Rules Footy


Happy Blue Ribbon Monday (2013)



SaveSave
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anyone for Tennis?

At the Australian Open qualifying tournament... 

Are you ready for the first Grand Slam of the year? The Aus Open starts next week (Monday 13th - Sunday 26 January) but Melbourne is already in full swing (ha ha) with tennis players and tennis action. 


You can pay to watch some of the top seeded Men's players in action at the Kooyong Classic, just down the road. Or, you can join me for what I say is one of the best value tennis, indeed let's say sporting tickets in the world. The Australian Open qualifying tournament (Jan 8 -11), where you can wander in for free. Yes free!

The 'Qualies' is one of the secret treasures of the Aus Open where players compete and must win matches on three consecutive days to secure one of the last remaining spots in the main draw.
For the past seven years we have been a host family for tennis players, which is how we have become so familiar with the highs and lows of this lead up event... 
So would you like a sneak peak inside Melbourne Park, whi…

Bangkok Blogger

Life is not about finding ourselves it is about creating ourselves! George Bernard Shaw

Cooee! It's me calling in from Thailand. Sorry, it's been a while, it's been a tad busy. Still, we've not done badly. We've moved into our temporary apartment and are well on the way to finding something more permanent. We're overlooking the American Embassy compound, which is acres of impressive greenery in amongst the high rise buildings. I love it, I can even hear the little birds sing in the morning.
So welcome to my new life as .... drum roll please, Hmmm actually, I have no bleedin’ idea, so how about Bangkok Blogger for now?
How would you feel if you were to arriving in a new country, where you know no-one, and you're not even sure what your life will entail? For me, it was a feeling of excitement, crossed with a rolling of the eyes, a smile and my 'here we go again' expression. 
Of course, this always happens Mr Wren was away travelling and so I rocked up for …

Keep Calm And Birthday On!

So far I'm onto my fourth country celebrating my birthday. Usually, I don't fuss much about birthdays, I'm not one for the big girls night out, or to treat myself with a big splurge... 
But this year is different. I've moved country. I now have a new visa in my passport enabling me to stay in the Kingdom of Thailand until May 2018. I'm away from the kids and the dog and Mr Wren looked at his work calendar, scratched his head and declared a meeting with dinner on my birthday.

I thought for a moment about pulling the old 'I can't believe you've got a meeting with dinner on my birthday AND it's International Women's Day' complaint, but wait a moment, no... That's a perfect excuse to celebrate with everyone, everywhere! 
'Hey, but I thought you said  you never bothered much about birthdays...'
I can hear him call out as I am part way to booking a flight to Malaysia and using all his Airmiles for a return trip to the UK!

He's right, I&#…