Skip to main content

Doggie Dilemma

It's been a big start to the year.
We have been trying to decide whether to move.
There were job offers in Hong Kong, Singapore and China.

Next year all the kids will be at University.
We are technically footloose and fancy free - Yay!
We become Empty Nesters, 
and can sail off into the sunset. 
OK you're right... 
We're probably more likely to take a plane 
but the furniture can go by boat!
But there is one little problem: 
The Crazy Poodle.

The various faces of the Crazy Poodle
We won't take him with us, DH declares, 
'Not to Asia. It's not fair!' 'Whaaat? It's not fair to leave him, he's one of the family', 
I reply in hushed tones, just in case Mutt is listening. He knows some thing's up as he sits there all cute and adorable in his kennel...

We're in the dog house for thoughts about leaving Mutt in Australia
I never wanted a dog, but we promised the kids that when we eventually settled they could have a pet. Tim wanted a 'proper' dog. He was brought up with three Black Labradors and a Dalmatian. 

The Vet's house always had animals. But in those days there were either pedigrees or mongrels. Here in Melbourne these oodle dogs, sometimes called 'designer dogs'  were not only popular, they were everywhere...

Mutt is a perfect 'sit, stay, click' blogging dog - he knows the routine!
An oodle is hybrid mix of more than one pure bred dog, a poodle cross. The poodle is intelligent and does not shed.

We compromised on the size but agreed to a black female. The breeder had one puppy left, the runt of the litter a blenheim cavoodle male. The cavoodle is a cross between the Poodle and the King Charles Cavalier Spaniel, known as a cavapoo in the States. 
'I will just stop by with him to introduce myself, show you a typical puppy and then you get the first choice of the next litter'. 
Mutt never left...

He moved in, took over our lives and relaxed in his new home.

Not normally allowed on the sofas, this is in the garden and Mutt's been sprung!
He is the most adorable, happy dog. He greets everyone (well almost everyone) to our house as if they are a long lost friend. He is always ecstatic to see our family members return, even if they have only been gone one minute to the post box at the front gate. 

He eats every dinner I serve up as if it's the best dinner he's ever had, and finds interest and joy in every walk. His favourite thing of all is to chase flies on the beach.

The Crazy Poodle on a blustery day!
He has a ferocious bark which he is not afraid to use on anyone coming to the house in a fluorescent jacket. We have a back-to-base monitored security alarm system in the house and Mutt guards the garden! He tries to patrol the skies and any cats or possums who taunt him from the safety of the trees in the garden. But he is never the winner there. With think if we are out, he is on full time policing. When we are home he sleeps.

Just chillin'
He loves humans, and greets every dog owner in the park, but other dogs he steadfastly ignores. He is only really interested in other oodle dogs and has a couple of good oodle friends, Molly and Dash. 

He hates Sheepdogs on account of having had some unfortunate experiences being 'rounded up', like a lamb. I still remember the trauma of him being herded into the ocean as a puppy... 

With his great mate Dash another Cavoodle
He is the park wimp. He can usually get out of most trouble because he is (greyhounds excepted) one of the fastest dogs around. He avoids any dog that looks like trouble or if he is in trouble, will sit on his haunches and howl at the top of his lungs. Which usually results  in the offending dog being severely reprimanded and the owner beating a hasty retreat with the dog on a very short lead!

The bridge warms up in the sun and becomes a great place for a snooze!
He does everything with us, we even plan holidays around him "And doggie comes too" He would leave a big gap in any new life if he wasn't with us. Decisions, decisions... 

To be continued next weekend!

Thank you for stopping by, I love to see who has been visiting 
from all around the world!
I am a tad behind on my visits, 
so forgive me, I hope to have more time next week!

There are two ways to contact me either by: 
leaving a comment through Google+
or to e-mail me directly from my side bar at
wrensrambles@gmail.com 

Have a lovely weekend!
A huge thanks to Eileen from Saturday's Critters
for hosting. 



Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anyone for Tennis?

At the Australian Open qualifying tournament... 

Are you ready for the first Grand Slam of the year? The Aus Open starts next week (Monday 13th - Sunday 26 January) but Melbourne is already in full swing (ha ha) with tennis players and tennis action. 


You can pay to watch some of the top seeded Men's players in action at the Kooyong Classic, just down the road. Or, you can join me for what I say is one of the best value tennis, indeed let's say sporting tickets in the world. The Australian Open qualifying tournament (Jan 8 -11), where you can wander in for free. Yes free!

The 'Qualies' is one of the secret treasures of the Aus Open where players compete and must win matches on three consecutive days to secure one of the last remaining spots in the main draw.
For the past seven years we have been a host family for tennis players, which is how we have become so familiar with the highs and lows of this lead up event... 
So would you like a sneak peak inside Melbourne Park, whi…

Keep Calm And Birthday On!

So far I'm onto my fourth country celebrating my birthday. Usually, I don't fuss much about birthdays, I'm not one for the big girls night out, or to treat myself with a big splurge... 
But this year is different. I've moved country. I now have a new visa in my passport enabling me to stay in the Kingdom of Thailand until May 2018. I'm away from the kids and the dog and Mr Wren looked at his work calendar, scratched his head and declared a meeting with dinner on my birthday.

I thought for a moment about pulling the old 'I can't believe you've got a meeting with dinner on my birthday AND it's International Women's Day' complaint, but wait a moment, no... That's a perfect excuse to celebrate with everyone, everywhere! 
'Hey, but I thought you said  you never bothered much about birthdays...'
I can hear him call out as I am part way to booking a flight to Malaysia and using all his Airmiles for a return trip to the UK!

He's right, I&#…

Bangkok Blogger

Life is not about finding ourselves it is about creating ourselves! George Bernard Shaw

Cooee! It's me calling in from Thailand. Sorry, it's been a while, it's been a tad busy. Still, we've not done badly. We've moved into our temporary apartment and are well on the way to finding something more permanent. We're overlooking the American Embassy compound, which is acres of impressive greenery in amongst the high rise buildings. I love it, I can even hear the little birds sing in the morning.
So welcome to my new life as .... drum roll please, Hmmm actually, I have no bleedin’ idea, so how about Bangkok Blogger for now?
How would you feel if you were to arriving in a new country, where you know no-one, and you're not even sure what your life will entail? For me, it was a feeling of excitement, crossed with a rolling of the eyes, a smile and my 'here we go again' expression. 
Of course, this always happens Mr Wren was away travelling and so I rocked up for …