Skip to main content

Perfect Phuket - Hello from the other side

Hello from the beach! Spoiler alert if you are snowed in, pandemic bound or just plain jack of 2021 already, you might want to flick straight onto the next blog! On the other hand, if you are looking for some escapism and to tag along for the virtual ride, stick around!


We came for Christmas and we haven't left yet,  so I've only got pictures of sunshine and palm trees and empty beaches waiting for tourists return.

Bangkok is still a designated High controlled area.  Schools, shopping malls and gyms have reopened and homeworking for some companies remain in place or operating on a limited A-B team return to work. Pubs and Bars, gambling venues including cockfighting and soapy massage remain closed. Ha, let's see who is reading this closely and no I have no idea what a soapy massage is! Most of my friends are more concerned about the booze ban and pollution in Bangkok but here at the beach, life is calm, quiet and rosy!


Phuket has removed it's 14-day Quarantine for those arriving from Bangkok but it seems most people are not risking travel here from within Thailand until March at the earliest. There is some hope that International tourism may resume in October, but in the meantime, we remain in glorious isolation.



I am one chirpy little bird with a new nest in Phuket, meanwhile, back in Bangkok the songbird lovers moved into our old tree - bless! I am happy for them. You can read the original story here at Our Balcony Sunbirds

We are loving island life, our fresh air and freedom to move around are not lost on us at a time when our family and friends in the UK and Melbourne, Australia are back in their lockdowns. Our life in Thailand seems a million miles away, and I can't wait to be reunited with my family who I have not seen for over a year now. Covid be gone!


With the beach as my backdrop for writing, I have been busy with my content creation. Let me start by wishing you a Happy Lunar New Year with artwork from the Artists in the Bangkok Community:

Happy Lunar New Year everyone! Whilst our Bangkok Chinese New Year celebrations were curtailed this year because of the ongoing COVID-19 health crisis, no-one is going to stop the Artists in the Bangkok Community (ABC) Group from welcoming the Year of the Ox in their own creative ways... Read more here


In Meet Thailand's Elephant Influencers, I invite you to join me on a Tourism Authority of Thailand trip to meet some of the Influencers chosen to help at this critical time for Thailand's domesticated elephants. Their thoughts and photos are amazing:

‘The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) would like to invite you on a trip to Lampang and Chiang Mai to learn about the current situation on elephant care in Thailand, as well as how we are moving forward towards more sustainable solutions for elephant-based tourism in Thailand’. Read more here. 


In Elephant Hugs and more... an insight into Thailand's Elephant Tourism I share some of my thoughts and start a discussion on the complex issues regarding elephants in domestic care. 

I was brought up to love all creatures great and small. I thought I had the elephant situation assessed; elephants should be in the wild, or in an ethical sanctuary for retired elephants. They should not perform tricks or paint, and we should not ride them for our pleasure. Covid has added additional difficulties, without 40 million predicted tourists, businesses have closed, people have lost jobs, and yes elephants are starving.  Read more here


Well, that will do for now, I wish that where ever you are in the world that you have a happy day and I will be over to check out your posts, very soon

Take Care



Comments

Tom said…
...this sure looks perfect to me!
Janice said…
Looks wonderful and warm. Yes, it is cold and snow covered even here in Central Texas. Really unusual!
Wendy said…
It's nice to see that in some places life is more normal.
Jeanie said…
Oh, these beaches are a sight for sore eyes, longing to see something other than white snow. I'm imagining the warmth on my skin, walking barefoot in the sand and dipping my toes into that surf. Thanks for this sorely needed post!
eileeninmd said…
Hello,

The beach looks very inviting, I wish I was there. It is cold and snowing here.
Lovely images! Take care, enjoy your weekend!
Sami said…
You are leading the perfect life Wren. I've been seeing all the beautiful Thailand staycations and I'm jealous :)
Luckily in Perth we have been doing well, apart from a very short 5 day lockdown at the end of last month and then mandatory masks outdoor for another 9 days. We can't complain either...
Enjoy Phuket
Cynthia said…
“Warm, quiet and rosy” sounds like a perfect place to hide out from the pandemic and enjoy life. We are lonely for family, but grateful for the beautiful beaches and forests here that are safe to visit while we wait ... and wait ... and wait for vaccine to be available. Whoever would have dreamed that this could go on for a whole year, and more?! Not me. Be safe and enjoy your lovely place.
Looks so inviting ...
Many thanks for this uplifting post.

All the best Jan
Goodness I wish I could trade some of that wonderful beach for the not-so-wonderful snow here. As for the poor elephants it's so hard to comprehend. On the one hand they deserve their freedom but they do need to be protected from poachers but on the other hand zoological breeding programs are helpful in so many ways. A couple of years ago they moved the elephants from our closest zoo in Toronto to the southern US where they felt the climate was more to their liking.
Amy Johnson said…
That's awesome that you are able to escape Covid lockdowns and enjoy such a beautiful place.
Tanza Erlambang said…
very beautiful beaches....
I visited Phuket about 20 years ago....beaches still beautiful
I didn't hesitate a minute to read your blog post and see your gorgeous photos! What a great retreat in spite of missing family and friends--it doesn't help that most of us are in that predicament. I'm just so grateful that we have come to this point when a year ago it was mass confusion and fear.

I popped over to look at your post on the elephants and I knew I had read to before--you can't forget a photo like the one with the loving people washing that beautiful beast.

Take care, Wren. Be safe and let me know if you get that soapy massage!!

Jane x
We've only been to Phuket once - only for a few days. Though we have friends that go nearly every year...well before Covid.... I remember we got terribly sunburnt on the beach because the beach umbrella they gave us was paper thin.. Lesson learned. Stay safe, have a good week, and thank you for stopping by my blog this week.
Fantastic photos! I live 15 min. by car from the beach and haven't been in ages. Now that things are relaxing here a bit, there is an oil spill and we are discouraged from going. It doesn't end. Your photos are wonderful.
Amalia
xo
Lydia C. Lee said…
It's a strange pace at the moment- we're open, we're not...Love Thailand. Hope we get back!
KlaraS said…
Empty beaches look sad. We have the same situation in my town due to covid. I hope everything will come back to normal soon.
DeniseinVA said…
It looks like Paradise! I hope to visit Thailand one day. The Thai people we have met here have been friendly and wonderful! And yes, elephants should be in the wild.
Sharon Wagner said…
I wish I could hug an elephant. I did read your post. I'm glad my massage therapist uses lotion instead of bubbles! :)
Angie said…
Wren - thanks for your comment on my blog - I don't think I will ever get complacent about the spectacular creatures that show up on my trail cam!
Diane said…
Wonderful pictures and what a lovely beach.

Hugs diane
Wow, just wow!!! Love it!
Veronica Lee said…
How nice that you are able to escape Covid lockdowns and enjoy the beach!

I am green with envy!
MICHAEL JAY said…
I saw a comment here a few weeks ago about Dr Akhere and i decided to contact him as instructed, thanks to this man for bringing joy to me as wished for. i followed instructions which he gave in other to get my lover back who left me and the kids for 3years now, but thanks to Dr Akhere because they are back to me now for good and we are happy together. please do contact him for help too if in relationship problem via email at: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346 . And testify for yourself.



























































I saw a comment here a few weeks ago about Dr Akhere and i decided to contact him as instructed, thanks to this man for bringing joy to me as wished for. i followed instructions which he gave in other to get my lover back who left me and the kids for 3years now, but thanks to Dr Akhere because they are back to me now for good and we are happy together. please do contact him for help too if in relationship problem via email at: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346 . And testify for yourself.
stardust said…
About ten month later than this post, new variant omicron seems to be spreading in some part of the world. I hope the time when we can travel freely with peace of mind come soon. I remember my little grandchildren feeding elephants on their vacation to Thailand several years ago. Thanks for your visit. Happy Holiday season!

Yoko

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat