Skip to main content

Vitamin Sea and Orchid Friendship Thailand

Hello, hello, I hope you are all doing well where ever you are reading this in the world! Thank you to all of you for your lovely comments on my last post and encouragement to Wander on Wren


I'm glad you are happy to travel vicariously through me, I  know some of you are in deteriorating situations with COVID-19.  I am forever grateful that my Bangkok life enables me the freedom to travel the country - at the moment. So with this, I will bring you some Vitamin Sea from Phuket, Thailand.


The weather was feisty and rather moody this past weekend in 𝐏𝐡𝐮𝐤𝐞𝐭, but we didn’t care. ⁣It’s always like this here in 𝐒𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐧 𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐢𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐝 in August as the strong 𝐒𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐡 𝗪𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐌𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐨𝐨𝐧 𝐰𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 gathers pace. I love the rainy season and the cooling air it brings! 

We’ve lost power, we’ve lost water supplies, but we know we are the lucky ones. ⁣Turn on the news, speak to our friends and family in far off places, and we know how lucky we are in Thailand.


The ocean is cross too. It spews out trash onto the beaches, old fishing nets tangled in branches, plastic bottles & old suntan cream tubes litter the sand... A sign of the past, days of busy beaches. Some thoughtless people leaving their rubbish for the wrath of the sea.


In the meantime Phuket waits, the sun loungers are stacked up hoping for sunshine & people. An old coffee sign barely visible starts with a faint happy & ends with free WiFi! ⁣



Yachts yield and boats bob bravely as the storm winds gather. Locals scurry home on their motorbike sidecars. ⁣



I was in Phuket for some solo travel. I have been asked to write about solo travel for a Tourism Authority of Thailand international website and wanted to experience travelling alone in these post-COVID days.

Who loves to travel solo? What do you like about it?

Street Art in Phuket Old Town 

I am not a natural solo traveller but I did relish having time all to myself. I bought a dress! I'm known as 5 Frocks Wren here in Bangkok as I arrived here in Thailand with five dresses which I live in... I don't spend much money on my clothes as I would rather spend money on travel. 

I would rather do than have! 

Does that resonate with you? 

Street Art Phuket Old Town

I am following the brilliant guide book on solo travel called Me, Myself & Thailand. You might remember I was invited last year for the final product test before the launch... and I got to the To Buy pages and ended up at a shop called Ban Boran Textiles which the book called affordable hippy-chic look! I'm not sure I quite carried off that look, but here I am!


And the reason I am sharing the picture of me in my flowery dress is to show you my fascinator. The sad thing about our lifestyle is that friends come and go and I have just said goodbye to Libby, who I will miss so much. 

Libby has been the bringer of elegant cheer to my Bangkok life. On the days when I master being the Zen Wren that I so aspire to, it's because of the gentle yogic influences of Libby, who just loved Thailand. 



Libby invited me to parties that I'd never heard of, like a Sip & See when her adult kids came into town. When she left last week, we were invited to her Pantry Party! This was an altogether more solemn affair as she opened the doors of her pantry and cupboards full of things that she could not take back to the US, which included her delicate fascinator.

Well, here I am! As outings and social events have not returned to what they used to be, I doubt I'll be wearing my new fascinator to the Bangkok Melbourne Cup day. I thought an orchid festival was the perfect way to go - thank you, Libby, and to my encouraging photographer Julie!

Photo credit: Julie Hedge

Here is the floral fun ( at least I kept my top on!) of the annual orchid extravaganza "Siam Paragon Bangkok Royal Orchid 2020" This great show contains more than 880,000 orchid species to mark the occasion of Queen Sirikit's birthday, 12 August 2020.

Byeeeee Libby, missing you already but I promise to party on in style and we will catch up somewhere in the world. Don't know where, don't know when! 


On a note about face masks, here in Thailand, we wear masks as a matter of course. This is one of the reasons they suggest that Thailand has done so brilliantly with its COVID-19 response. 

My silk mask was given to me by my friends at the Tourism Authority of Thailand. I only popped in for a few guide books and one thing led to another, and well I just love my mask. Thanks, Guys!

If you would like to read more on my recent travels around Thailand, please see Weekend Wanders: Cycling Sukhothai We really enjoyed our recent road trip to the first ancient capital of Siam.

Would you be up for some air travel these days? We have just bought an unlimited Air travel pass within Thailand! Click here for my Air Asia Unlimited Pass Review

Gotta dash got places to see!







 













Comments

Linda said…
A fine post! Normally I like solo travel but right now, no. I am reluctant to eat in restaurants or even be around other people because Covid cases are still rising here. That would really make travel difficult.
Margaret D said…
How wonderful that you had the opportunity to travel by yourself and took it.
Nice reading of your post along with the photos.
The mask look good.
Take care.
Coastal Ripples said…
Yes I can resonate with just five dresses. Love the one of you in the collage. Beautiful. I haven’t solo travelled for many years but I think I would love the chance to wander and photograph at my own pace without worrying about anyone else.
Intriguing to see photos of very touristy areas without the tourists a very different world. B x
eileeninmd said…
Hello,

I have heard Phuket is a pretty place to visit. Except for the monsoon season,the photos look beautiful. I love the street art and the flower mosaic. The orchids are gorgeous. I would much rather spend my money on travel. I have not traveling solo, hubby goes everywhere I go. Take care, enjoy your day!
Crimson Kettle said…
I don't even have one dress, not for the want of trying. Yours is so pretty and looks good with the fascinator and the gorgeous flowers, Thailand seems such a colourful place. Enjoy your travels. x
Villrose said…
Refreshing nature photos, and lovely flowers! Like your dress too :)
I loved to travel alone when young. The feeling of freedom do whatever I wanted and meet interesting people to join for a little while.
Jeanie said…
You look so darned cute in your pretty dress and fun fascinator! Great mask, too. I haven't worn a dress, I think, in 20 years. OK, maybe 15. A long time. That's really cute!

Love seeing Thailand where I think I will probably never get to be. Glad you are still able to travel. I like traveling solo. I'm good either way. On my own, I do what I want at my timetable and don't feel like I'm slowing anyone down or keeping them from what they want. But I always miss being able to share the day's stories with someone who was with me. Rick and I do fairly well together. We're both pretty good with "You want to do this and I want to do that, so see you at this spot at this time for lunch/dinner/whatever."
Polly said…
Yes that does resonate with me. The last house I lived in had a horrible gas fireplace in the lounge with a back boiler behind it. British Gas looked after it with regularly services so it was safe and I tarted it up with ornaments and a huge storm candle holder. I lived with it for 20 years because I didn't want to spend the fortune it would have cost to replace it, preferring holidays instead! I like being a solo traveller because I'm selfish, I prefer to go where I want at my speed :-)
Polly said…
PS it's nice to see you, you look lovely. I like wearing dresses.
Janice said…
I have traveled solo only during my work days. Not a lot of touring, mostly just business. Certainly nothing like your beautiful seaside trip nor the shopping and orchid excursions. Love the facinator! Now keep on flying, Little Wandering Wren.
betty-NZ said…
I'm not one to travel solo, but I appreciate those that do. Your photos are great to see as I hear a lot about the beauty of Thailand.

It's awesome to see you at 'My Corner of the World' this week!! Thanks for linking up.
Your posts are so uplifting, Wren! I admire your tenacity and spirit in enjoying Thailand despite the rains, heat, and Covid to match! You have opened my eyes to a beautiful country and I savor each post.

I love the fascinator although I'm sorry your friend has left. It's a gentle reminder of her and it really looks lovely on you! So nice to see those smiling eyes above the mask--I don't think I've seen a picture of you before. And the five dresses? I would be called Bangkok Jane of 1000 dresses!

I've never travelled alone, I have no doubt I'd be fine. I do savor my time at my little cottage in Michigan, lake and country life, a break from the city, hubby, and a whole lot of things. I was a secret loner, but I've finally learned to listen to myself, observe others, and wake myself up if I need to reply! Ha!!

Love and blessings to you,

Jane
Libby said…
I miss you! The fascinator is fabulous on you. Keep traveling and sharing your tales. 😍😍😍😍😍😘
Amy Johnson said…
Such a beautiful place. That's great that you don't have so many restrictions there as other places in the world do.
EricaSta said…
I enjoyed reading. Thank you for sharing.
Stay healthy and well.

Happy MosaicMonday
Tom said…
...so many beautiful images from this beautiful place, thanks!
Maggie said…
Love your fascinator, Zen Wren!
Such a shame your friend had to leave, she sounds like a lot of fun.
Enjoy your solo travels, (brave girl) not sure I'd be up for a solo trip any more although I've done a few in my time. But that's another story.
So glad that you stopped by my blog last week, it's always nice when an "old" friend comes to visit.
Happy MM
Martha said…
Everything is gorgeous! Thanks for taking us all along with you. Have a great week! :)
Beautiful photos and I especially like the beach scenes! Have a grand week and stay safe!
Gillena Cox said…
Vitamin sea gave me a smile 😊😊😊lovely photos. Happy Monday

Much🌻love
Dawn said…
So much beauty, thank you for sharing. I have done most of my travels solo not because I wanted to but it's just how it has worked out. I prefer to share with someone but going solo has it's advantages like your own schedule and taking as much or little time as you want.
Love the street art.
Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade
Angie said…
Wren - I don't mind traveling solo, but it is not my preference. I like to have someone to share the experiences with, and of course my first choice would be my husband. I am glad for you that you can still travel, and in turn share these stunning photos with everyone at Mosaic Monday. As you say, many are not so fortunate, and through no fault of their own!
Rain said…
Hi Wren :) Lovely happy post. :) I'm not a traveler, I'm more of a homebody. I used to wander more when I was younger and enjoyed traveling solo. In the last 10 years or so, I prefer to just wander in the woods and along the rivers! :) And like you, I would rather do than have as well! I live in minimal clothing as well, when I need "new" things, I hit the thriftshops!
Sami said…
I don't enjoy solo travel unfortunately.
Love the new dress and fascinator Wren :) and the murals are great too.
I'm not much of a traveller I'm afraid, solo or otherwise, but I love to live vicariously through you! Envy your new dress - I'd most definitely wear that. The orchids - no other word comes to mind but splendid. Orchids have always been a favourite of mine since Resident Chef and I were courting and he would buy them for me.
I enjoyed travelling while reading and looking at your post, thank you :)
Like others have commented - I too like your dress.

Take care, stay safe and well.

All the best Jan
You are my lifeline, I miss travelling! Stay safe.
Amalia
xo
Anita said…
Wow!Such a beautiful blog!I am amazed by its charm and sweetness

It is like -i want to go there right away!
Debbie said…
a beautiful post!! as i am not able to wander about or travel, i am very happy to live vicariously through you!!

gorgeous flowers and really pretty street art, something i always enjoy seeing!!!
Teresa said…
Todo se ve precioso, me encantaría visitarlo. Un beso.
MICHAEL JAY said…
I saw a comment here a few weeks ago about Dr Akhere and i decided to contact him as instructed, thanks to this man for bringing joy to me as wished for. i followed instructions which he gave in other to get my lover back who left me and the kids for 3years now, but thanks to Dr Akhere because they are back to me now for good and we are happy together. please do contact him for help too if in relationship problem via email at: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346 . And testify for yourself.



























































I saw a comment here a few weeks ago about Dr Akhere and i decided to contact him as instructed, thanks to this man for bringing joy to me as wished for. i followed instructions which he gave in other to get my lover back who left me and the kids for 3years now, but thanks to Dr Akhere because they are back to me now for good and we are happy together. please do contact him for help too if in relationship problem via email at: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346 . And testify for yourself.

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat