Skip to main content

Happy New Year of the Earth Pig

Hello everyone and Happy New Year to you all!  

Surely I am not too late to wish you a Happy New Year?
We are yet to have our Thai New Year celebrations!

I love my life where I get to enjoy an endless round of New Year celebrations in different countries. We started with the Aussie New Years Eve on December 31st 2018, and we've enjoyed the Chinese New Year February 4 - 9 and we're next looking forward to the Songkran festivities for our Thai New Year April 13-16.



Hopefully, by April, I will have my New Years resolutions all sorted out and it gives me time to adjust any that may not seem appropriate. Haha!

January whizzed by for us a wonderful blur of blue skies, sunshine and the Australian Open tennis.



If you are a tennis fan, did you know that all of the Grand Slams and many of the major tournaments run a qualifying tournament?

At the Australian Open the tournament is free for the public, held at Melbourne Park, the home of the Grand Slam and a wonderful opportunity to have a sneak peek at the site before the crowds.

Come have a little wander with me!

Read more: Why you'll love the Aus Open Qualifying event




Of course, it's sod's law, once the main event starts it
is played out in extreme heat conditions.

Whilst Melbourne Park is as well prepared as any tennis venue I've seen for fans, there are lots you can do (where ever you are watching tennis in a hot climate) to prepare for this.

Read more: Keeping our cool at the Australian Open Tennis

January is my favourite time of year in Melbourne, the city has a relaxed vibe and there is much to see and do if you are not at the tennis, nor the cricket, or haven't headed off to the beach for your summer hols.

Boxing Day Test Match Australia V India Jan 2019


Like would you like to come with me to the wonderful Sidney Myer Music Bowl to watch English indie rock band Florence + the Machine?

You didn't think I was a Rock Chick, did you? Ermmm neither did I, so watch this space as the count down is on to my Glasto '19 days.

We had a great time despite the best seats in the house...

 Read more: High as Hope with Florence + the Machine


Now back in Thailand enjoying the Chinese or Lunar New Year. It's been a fun week of celebrations. Red lanterns adorn buildings and it seems like on every corner you'll find the beating of drums, firecrackers and a Chinese Lion Dance.

From Bangkok's Chinese New Year celebrations in 2018
Thailand has a large and influential Chinese community and Chinese tourism is important here. There are a surprising amount of Thai people who celebrate Chinese New Year and Mr Wren came home carrying gifts of oranges from work colleagues in beautiful red and gold bags. Last Tuesday although not an official Thai holiday, his Company have given their employees a day off. Happy Days.


I only popped in to get some milk at our local supermarket and well who can resist the opportunity when invited to dress the part!



Read more: Happy Chinese New Year of the Earth Pig

Thank you for your visit today. You will have noticed that these above posts are at my new blog Littlewanderingwren.com. I set this up in Wordpress to redress the problem of readers not wanting a Google+ account and therefore being unable to comment. It is somewhat ironic therefore that with Google+ being disbanded I believe the comments will revert to a blogger comment here. 

We'll see for the moment I am keeping both going and hope to see you at one or other in the future!

May I wish you a Happy Year of the Earth Pig.


Comments

Crimson Kettle said…
Ahead of the game as always! x
eileeninmd said…
Happy Chinese New Year! I have always kept the blogger comment form. I am hoping nothing happens with Blogger now. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day. Have a great week ahead!
Rosie said…
How interesting to have enjoyed the various New Years celebrations.
I'm taking time off from making 100 Dalmatians (thanks for that!) to visit and enjoy these New Year celebrations with you. I've given up on resolutions, they never stick and only serve to mock me. But I did have a wonderful time watching the Australian Open. Fantastic games. I would have joined you for the qualifiers if I could.
Amalia
xo
Gattina said…
Happy New Years !! If with so many New Year celebrations you will not have a good year, then there is something wrong !
I see you have a brand new Blog and the awful Google+ thing is gone. I always thought it wouldn't last long. Facebook is a too big competitor.

The Dragon picture is beautiful !
Jeanie said…
Thanks for the reminder of your new blog. I need to add it to email notifications or bloglovin' so I don't miss things!
Nice post and I'm hoping that my comment will come through ok.

All the best Jan
Such a colorful post! And lucky you to get to take part in so many different celebrations for the new year.
Janice said…
Good to catch up with The Wren. Looks like you are staying busy as usual!
Cynthia said…
Goodness, i hope you don’t feel obligated to make New Year’s resolutions on each one. Other than that, i say take full advantage! The Asian celebrations are sure more colorful than ours.
Dee said…
Dear Wren, I don't know much of anything about birds, and so I'm going to need to look up in Wikipedia and see where wrens travel. Where do they winter? Where do they summer? I'm wondering all this because you-Wren!--are such a world traveler. I need to find out if all wrens are!

Happy New Year wherever you are! Peace.
Dee said…
Dear Wren, you really do travel and you really seem to enjoy your life. Being as spontaneous as you are makes your posting so refreshing. Thank you. Peace.
Happy New Year of the Earth Pig!
Wren x
Happy Chinese New Year!! I LOVE Florence and The Machine!!! Thanks so much fr stopping by and for your kind words about my post on my Dad!!
Hugs,
Debbie
carol l mckenna said…
Not sure this is your latest post but this is what I got when I linked back to your blog from G+

Beautiful photos and so colorful too!

Happy Moments to You,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)
You have way too much fun! Hee Hee Hee! I am always so happy when I see you everywhere on social media. Your stories and photos always make me smile B I G ! Happy New Year to you!
Enjoy the rest of your week too. Thank you for always sharing a comment at my blog.
HUGS xo
Tanza Erlambang said…
hope, everything goes well with you and yours
PerthDailyPhoto said…
How lucky to have a third time to consolidate those New Year resolutions, I could do with another chance too, considering we're almost half way through the year it's possible it's too late.. only kidding, never too late! Happy Easter LWW ✨
Jenny Woolf said…
Thanks for visiting my blog! I have never visited Thailand so I will be interested in a different perspective from the usual one we get here. It always looks an incredible country. Regarding the tennis, I'd be so sorry for the players. I have never enjoyed sports in heat although I know they are used to it!
Gattina said…
The song "on the road again" would suit you very well, I never know on which continent you are because I can't say "country" ! Celebrating so many New Years must bring luck ! Especially in German a pig is the sign of luck ! (it must be nice round and pink !)
Sharon Wagner said…
Happy Spring! Oink.
Me again!! Thanks so much for stopping by and for your well wishes!!
Hugs,
Debbie
I wanted to stop by to thank you for your kind comment about my losing my dog to cancer. It was heartfelt and thoughtful. And I was happy to see that you really have a lovely blog here! And you travel...oh to be so lucky! I'm looking forward to coming back and reading more!

Jane
Linda said…
Interesting post. I suspect the demise of Google Plus caused some problems on my blog but I don't really know.

Its really an impressive and creative work. I agree to that shadowing would have been great. It is nice anyway.

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat