Skip to main content

Riverside Elephant Yoga

It's the crack of dawn in Bangkok, the roads are empty and we are
off to enjoy sunrise yoga overlooking Bangkok's Chao Praya river.


        It was my birthday, so let's just say it was entirely my choice 
to get up at 5.30am on a Sunday. 
Mr Wren was less thrilled with the idea, but bless him he did it!

  We were there to join other keen yogis for a sun salutation with a difference.
Our yoga was held on the pitch for the weekend's Elephant Polo. 
The reward for such an early start 
was to be there for when the elephants had their breakfast.

The inaugural sunrise yoga 
 was part of one the biggest charitable events in South East Asia.


This event is a major fundraiser for the Golden Triangle Asian Elephant Foundation an organisation close to our hearts. 

We spent our honeymoon at the Anantara Golden Triangle, Chiang Rai, Thailand and it was here that we were first introduced to the foundation's valuable work.

We returned to the Anantara Golden Triangle in May 2017 as part of our wedding anniversary celebrations

The King's Cup Elephant Polo tournament is now in its 16th Year and has raised over THB 50 million to better the lives of Thailand's wild and domesticated elephant population. 

 I wasn't sure about the whole idea of Elephant Polo, neither perhaps were the river gods... 
A massive storm on Friday put the whole city on an extreme weather alert.
The polo pitch flooded and it remained unplayable over the three days I attended.

Hats off to all the organisers for all their hard work and 'let's get this show on the road' attitude. 
Let me show you the Verve champagne tent and then you'll see
we had perfect conditions for water polo!

So I never once saw any Elephant Polo and I really didn't mind this.


Our Absolute Yoga class was one of my most memorable yoga experiences.  
It was up there with yoga in the paddy fields of Bali

The standard was high and the team at Balance Wellness catered well for an all-ability class. Certainly, Mr Wren was huffing and puffing after the first flow movement.

It wasn't long before he was well and truly distracted by the elephants waiting patiently. At one point the elephants were given a few bananas and then some sugar cane. It was an incredible backdrop.



Throughout, the Foundation gave us more information about the animals.

Do you know that elephants eat 8% of their body weight each day?

It is extremely costly for their owners, the elephants participating in this event are ex-street elephants and will be well provided for due to their participation.
They certainly looked relaxed and were happy with their buffet breakfast!



 The elephants had a definite order of preference for the fruit with bananas and sugar cane being a good starter. The Mahouts told us that papaya is not good first up as it can upset the elephant's stomachs. Pumpkin is good but best after the bananas and sugar cane. 

 We enjoyed seeing how they stomped on the pumpkin before eating its sweet fruit.


After a period of time, the first elephants were taken away for a rest and the Mahouts collected extra supplies for them to continue eating throughout the day. Then more elephants arrived for the second sitting. 

I love this photo below of the mahout carefully selecting food for his elephant.




There is a part two to this story which

I shall continue on my other blog: Littlewanderingwren.com 
with more photos of the event. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat