Skip to main content

My crazy Melbourne week:

Hello, thanks for popping in! I had a quick dash back to Melbourne this week for our son’s 21st Birthday Party, giving me the opportunity to show you what’s up there!

Politics:

The upcoming people's vote on the same-sex marriage debate is big news.  When some idiot decked our former Prime Minister, Tony Abbott, a prominent No campaigner and AFL house had a bomb hoax after changing their logo to a YES, the stories ran and ran.

You would have to be a keen news followers to have picked up that Donald Trump has declared war on North Korea (in their eyes) because all other news is about the sports!



Sports:

Australian Rules Football (AFL) dominates our Melbourne news. Yes, the only battle that gets a mention down here is this one on the footy field.

AFL is huge in our State of Victoria and this year our local chances lie with the Richmond Tigers a suburb about 10 mins drive away. Of course, they have to beat, the Adelaide Crows from South Australia, a team who has come so far after their coach was tragically murdered by his son with mental health issues. 

In our house, we’re all about Soccer and in Australia, women's soccer goes from strength to strength with our National team the Matildas notching up some notable wins and strides being made for better pay for our Women’s League players.

The end of the season has seen rather a lovely collection of trophies appear in the kitchen. Despite a supposed non-contact sport, our daughter has played a full season through various injuries and collisions resulting in a broken rib and a dislocated shoulder. These trophies are a lovely recognition of her contribution to her teams.




Gardens:

After a long hard (by Melbourne standards) winter, the city is about to burst into the Spring. The gardens in our area, including our own, are emerging to look green and blooming lovely.

I loved to walk the crazy poodle around our neighbour and check out the changes in the last month since I was home. 




Food:

No trip home is complete without the opportunity to catch up with family and friends and the things I miss in Bangkok, Melbourne’s cafe culture and the food - my favourite being a smashed avocado. 

Hey, I'm hearing that shortages in Avocados worldwide is leading to a rise in popularity of the smashed pea dish? Nooooooo!



The 21st Party

Our youngest wanted to have his 21st celebration at home which merited his Mum making the nine-hour flight home, just in case. 

We have somehow managed to avoid any BIG parties at home for our daughters and so this was a big deal. There was a bit to organise, which to be fair he largely did, but I was told firmly:

'this shouldn’t be the opportunity for doing all jobs around the place!'

after we are up a ladder fixing the guttering on the car port! Well, why not I say?

Having left the house for the kids to live in with the dog, we don’t get many opportunities to do such things. So I wasn’t going to let the chance of having someone to help me, pass me by!



The party went well, thanks to the youth of today, a lovely crowd, with everyone coming to say hello and thank me for having the party at home. There is hope for the world with this next generation coming through.

Having Mum home results in a few requests: 

Mum whilst you are out with the dog, 
can you pick up my ball dress from the dry cleaners? 

Asked my Soccer playing daughter. The teams get plenty of opportunities to glam up at the end of the season for the Gold Medal and Club presentation events.


I must have looked quite a sight with ball dress draped across one arm, crazy poodle in the other, especially when we met a dead bat in a small alley. Melbourne is home to quite a large colony of bats and this one is sizeable luckily the crazy poodle is reasonably respectful. At the end of the alleyway, the council is out with a blower, collecting the last leaves of autumn… 

I disappear under a hail of golden leaves, me the dead bat, the ball dress and the crazy poodle. It was so good to be home!

What’s up in your neighbourhood?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat