Skip to main content

Pongsit makes a big IMPACT!

Imagine if you'd just arrived on Planet Earth and given tickets to a pop concert of one of your new world's biggest stars?  You knew you were going to something special, but you didn't know the artist or understand anything he was singing about... 

How do you reckon you'd feel?

We felt like this going to Pongsit Kamphee's concert on Saturday night.

Who? I hear you say! 


We tried to do our homework on Pu Pongsit, as he is known but clearly whilst he may be mega big news in Thailand, there is little written about him in English.

We did discover that Pongsit is a much-loved folk rock icon who has been on the Thai music scene for 30 years. Thai people love his powerful storytelling. We could see he brings such passion to his lyrics which are on his thoughts about society, love, loss and life's struggles.


We were delighted to have been offered VIP tickets to his show at Bangkok's aptly named IMPACT Arena and were pretty much the only foreigners. Despite playing his songs all week, we had no idea what to expect. Even when we asked things got a bit muddled...

We listened to many of his songs in the car Sutchi (deep in mind), Thai Thoe Khuen Ma (Take her back), or our favourite Num Noi (Young boy... which was actually translated for us as Baby Boy, which I misheard as Lady Boy ... you see a perfect lost in translation moment. For days I was trying to sing along wondering what on earth this Lady Boy was up to?!


IMPACT Arena holds 11,000 seats, it is the biggest arena in Bangkok and the second biggest in Asia. Pongsit follows Britney Spears and is before Ed Sheeran in the 2017 concert line up. When Coldplay came earlier in the year, they went to Rajamangala National Stadium which held 67,000 fans it was the biggest headline concert for an International Act, Thailand has ever seen. But Pongsit is up there with the best of them, and when we arrived the queue snakes the whole way around the arena.

We failed for a start as no-one told us the Thai pop concert dress code. It was a black, and if possible official Pongsit 30th Anniversary tour T-shirt, and jeans. I have not worn a  pair of jeans ever in Bangkok, so in my white Capri trousers, I stood out as the Foreigner who did not get the official team memo. We did manage to get Mr Wren a black bandana. Which is mandatory for the serious fan. The staff at the official merchandise store were so bemused that we wanted one, they gave us a sweaty one off the head of one of the sales guys!


We were so close to the stage, but after a while, I joined the dancing crowd at the front of the stage. Of course, I wanted to get right to the front to get some good photos. I did swim through a pool of Singha beer to get there, but the security team were pretty relaxed. This was so different to other concerts I'd been to. 

Once I got to the front, it seemed like a high proportion of the audience here were youngish men. Or may be not,  Pongsit is nearly fifty and if his fans have been with him through out his thirty-year career, they probably weren't that young. But what with the lights, the stage smoke and let's face it everyone seems young in Thailand - or maybe just younger than us!

I stayed at the front for a while, but the TV camera's kept filming me, dancing amongst the lads, at first it was quite fun - but then I kept being asked for photos with the crowd. So I gave up before I was on everyone's Facebook page in Bangkok. You know how shy I am!

When I got back to our seats, the crowd were all up on their feets. "Verlllllly good dancing" the girl behind yelled. It appeared I had broken the second rule of the Thai Pop concerts, Don't wear white and Girls stay in their seats to dance, Guys go the stage! 

Whoops! I had a nasty feeling I was going to be Farang feature dancer in the Bangkok Post the next day. So I hope you like the photo's, the things I do to get you a good photo!


Despite this issue of not understanding Thai, it was not difficult to be in the zone even without any beer!. The music moves from rock and we're all up dancing, to soulful and the crowd are pictured sobbing, oh gosh I hope that wasn't when I was being filmed for dancing with delight during the meant to be weeping bits?! No, seriously we got it, you could tell, you didn't need to speak Thai, the music was that powerful.

At one point a lady appears on the big LED circular screen which we take was his Mother, she got a rapturous applause, and then he sings we read later a song called 'Mae' (Mother). If we had been in the know we would have been thrilled when the various guests are invited onto the stage, Nga Caravan and Lek Carabao... it really is so weird not having any idea, who everyone is. 

Pu Pongsit made such an impact, it was a three-hour performance and just mesmerising. We are so happy that we got to see this legend perform, it was quite some introduction to the Thai music industry. I could have danced all night!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat