Skip to main content

Two old bears living it up in Bangkok!

Well here we are at the end of our second week living in Bangkok...

1. Barely in Bangkok: We've found somewhere to live! At the moment we're living it up in a serviced apartment. This picture sums up our current life: two bears alone in Bangkok. The bears were given to us at a Valentines Day dinner and the flowers are in an old Perrier bottle as all our worldly Bangkok-bound goods, with the odd vase or two, are currently bobbing around on the high seas between Melbourne and Bangkok. The place is quite spartan as you can see, but we do have the luxury of having our beds made up each day!

From next week now I'm all sorted we start travelling, watch this space!


2. Bird in Paradise: I spotted the birds of paradise flowers in our local market, and of course Little Wren aka bird in paradise or so I keep reminding myself had to have them. There was a conversation that started with 'not for sale'...The flower lady refused to sell them to me, as she said 'no good, not fresh'. She gave them to me and has now become my flower lady for life. The people here have been absolutely gorgeous. For the most part living up to their land of smiles reputation.



3. Our new nest! After the dramas of apartment hunting with relocation agents before Christmas, I decided to go it alone and see what I could find. I have walked my rocks off in our local area, door knocking on any apartment block which looked nice but without an agent, it is not that easy. First, you need to make it past security and then it's pot luck with the reception staff - there were definitely moments when I felt I didn't live up to their resident profile in some establishments ...

I clearly look too much of a sweaty betty, hair doing it's own thing in the humidity and I have this very swish Lululemon sleeveless sports top which has a mesh midriff, which I thought would be nice and cool, but clearly I'm looking more Pretty Woman than pretty much exactly who they want to rent a place too!

But in one place I got a lovely warm welcome and was shown an apartment which will do just fine. The first thing I do when apartment hunting is go straight to the window, and as long as long as it had a nice outlook, and I didn't feel trapped in a concrete jungle, then I would start investigating further! So now we will be neighbours with the American Ambassador - well he's got a humongous place, we've got a small nest high up above the trees. But there is an elephant by the pool & I can hear the little birds sing. Perfect!



4. Chatuchak market - last weekend we headed to one of Bangkok's best-known market, it is the biggest in Thailand. It's hot, grubby and you need to have a load of stamina for this great shopping adventure! We somehow seemed to start in the animal section and then progress to the massage oil section so I am looking forward to returning to see other areas and I have my eye on some big ceramic planters as I want to fill our home with orchids!



5. She died serving peas at Sunday lunch!  After a morning tackling only a fraction of the 8000 market stalls I needed some calm! We ended up at the Siam Kempinski for an afternoon pot of tea for two. The music was lovely and I happened to remark to my dear Mr Wren that my Grandmother was a great pianist! Of course I get ribbed mercilessly for such comments... so what did your grandma do I asked? Where do you go after the reply 'she died serving peas at Sunday Lunch?!'

On that note time to finish up. I hope you all had a good week and hopefully next week I'll be able to visit you all!


Linking with thanks to Five on Friday and Amy 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat