Skip to main content

Mossman, Queensland the place to be

Wandering Wednesday...

Mossman Gorge Forest Walk, Daintree Rainforest, Queensland, Australia

Are you wearing your runners, sneakers, plimsolls, daps, gym shoes, trainers or whatever you call them where you're from? We're off for a walk in the woods...although not just any old woods. Today we've taken the fifteen minute drive through the towering sugar cane fields ready for harvest, from Port Douglas to Mossman. Sorry for the pun but life is sweet as we arrive at Australia's largest rainforest in the Daintree National Park!
 
Mossman Gorge is a World Heritage listed rainforest, home to the Kuku Yalanji people, the areas traditional Aboriginal landowners. Twelve months ago a new indigenous eco tourism site was built here and visitors arriving at the Visitors Centre have the choice of either a self guided tour, or to purchase the Ngadiku Dreamtime Walk with an indigenous guide.
 
 
We take the self guided tour option and board the bus ($6 per adult) which takes us from the car park to the edge of the rainforest. The paths are well marked, there is a short river section which leads us to the fast flowing Mossman river look out and mountain ranges behind.
 
 
Here those willing to brave the crystal clear waters, strip off for a quick plunge, clinging onto the massive granite boulders which look like giant marbles littering the river. They gasp in shock, as the icy waters numb their bodies. I'm sure it's invigorating and for many a must-do part of their visit but I'm not getting in, it is far too chilly ... plus I want to make it round for the rest of the walk without chafing!!
 
There is also a very cool suspension bridge crossing Rex Creek which I defy any adult to walk across, without their inner child coming out, and adding a little bounce to the already unsteady structure for those following behind... Ha! Sorry no photos it was too wobbly...
 
 
There are two sections of elevated boardwalk which take us up into the lower canopy for a possums eye view of the rainforest. Here I am wishing I had paid more attention in my geography lessons all those moons ago, when tropical rainforests of the Amazon, interesting but irrelevant to a British teenager, were the lesson of the day...
 
I remember four layers of a rainforest, but I must admit the details (Emergent, Canopy, Understory and Forest Floor) I had to google...!!! Duh... I should have asked the kids, all Aussie kids do rainforests in Primary school...
 
 
There are many things which strike you wandering around, firstly how big everything is. The emergent giant trees grow much higher than the average canopy height and can be over 60ms high. Some of their trunks will be nearly 5 ms round...
 
 
Secondly how green it all is, here at the Daintree they get around 120 days of rain a year. We are fortunate to be there on a dry day... One of the only dry days of the holiday!!
 
 
It feels like at every point we turn we see something interesting...Whether it is the sheer size of the ferns, or the buttress roots, curtain figs or strangler figs...
 
 
The full walk is approximately 3kms - a fraction of the overall tropical rainforest in the Daintree National Park but its easy accessibility, and clear walking paths make it an ideal introduction to the area. We find as we head away from the water holes we have the path practically to ourselves.
 
Silky Oak Lodge
After all that walking we have built up an appetite and head off to Silky Oaks Lodge which looks a fabulous place to stay. It has a choice of Riverhouses and Deluxe Tree houses overlooking the Mossman river. I'm eyeing up a return trip here 'sans enfants' - quick let's think up some special occasion to celebrate...It's going on my Bucket List. The Healing Water Spa has been a previous World Luxury Spa Award winner. Yep it's perfect...
 
Lush tropical gardens at Silky Oaks Lodge
Today it is the Treehouse restaurant which brings us here. We love the way the restaurant is open-sided onto the river and rainforest. The staff are friendly and welcoming to a scruffy family up for a splurge. Although I do fish out my hairbrush on the way in, and with a 'This looks posh,' attempt to tame my unruly locks. Unfortunately humidity hair resists all attempts of order...the wild look is here to stay and anyway we have reserved and, joy of joys, are shown to one of the best tables. This place is going up my Bucket List right up there with Antarctica and Machu, ok well maybe just below but it was a great place!!
 
The food was beautifully presented, each dish like I imagine from a Masterchef kitchen. Treehouse is truly befitting of it's claim as one of Northern Queensland's premier dining experiences. Just look at the pudding...
One of my all time favourite puddings - and I've had a few!
Anyway, no time to get too comfy, we're off to spot crocodiles next...
 
Little Wandering Wren

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat