Skip to main content

The Joys of Jaisalmer

DAY THREE - Jaisalmer & Desert Safari

We start our day early at an artificial lake, originally built for burials and festivals. Three men are bathing and praying in the water ... Dipping their hands in the water, chanting & saluting the sun three times before each quarter turn. It is kind of surreal....

We are brought back to reality when one of our party asks to be left alone and one yesterday's lunch begins to take affect.....the harsh cruel sun beats down and some of us begin to struggle....


We're off to explore the Golden Fort this morning, which has nearly 4000 people living inside. No cars are able to make it up the steep cobbled drive to the fort's main entrance. There are 5 gates in total which zigzag up the hill. Each with a heavy door with spikes at elephant eye level, the only power strong enough to have tried to penetrate through these defenses. We chose to walk, it's a chaotic with the auto rickshaw's, cows and pedestrians all competing for the same narrow bit of road space...



There are three levels of Fort walls and it's not surprising that the Fort inhabitants have resisted continued official attempts to remove them & allow tourism to flourish. It's impossible to break-in & even harder to get them out!



It is hot and we walk for three hours exploring inside the walls.... My favorite place were two Jain temples. We leave our shoes and water bottles outside and enjoy the cool, dark interiors watching the monks in their bright robes going about their daily ritual of polishing and dusting the many hundreds of statues inside.





The Havali's - Rajasthani mansion's of the town's wealthy merchants with their relief carvings, filligreed windows and lace like screens...


The streets inside the Fort are a maze, we follow the guide and end up with the usual shopping opportunities. The first at we are offered cold drinks and a chance to explore the five levels of antiques, after lunch a silversmith.....We won't be considered great customers, at each stop we have someone asleep or trying to fight off the lurgy...!


I make it as far as the drive to the desert before my illness strikes, they say Delhi Belly is inevitable in India and I'm mad as I have every pill and potion going and take Travelan before I eat. I am sick. I retire to my luxury tent and miss the camel ride to watch the sunset.

We are the only residents at our camp site, which can sleep 85 people. It is still low season, not many people are mad enough to visit before 0ctober.... It is only just October, and only just bearable....




The tent is nicely decorated and joy of joys each tent has a full en-suite bathroom! There is a large evaporative water cooler, which works ok.




Little Wandering Wren

Location:Jaisalmer INDIA

Comments

Neesie said…
I can visualise it all so well from your narrative...so much so that my tummy has just done a little flip! Eek!
I hope a cool breeze comes your way and all your potions help keep life bearable. :$
It's amazing to share your journey ~ thanks :D

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat