Skip to main content

Essence of Rajasthan

DAY TWO - INDIA

Wow, here I am luxuriating in my room with a herbal tea and the remains of my Costco brownies at 3 am - a combination of jet lag and the screeching peacocks outside my room have woken me from a restful nights sleep, and has given me time in the calm of the night to reflect on our family's travels this weekend....

....Our eldest is traveling by bus from London for Ockoberfest in Munich....our youngest is traveling by train to Delhi for the mid-term break and soccer tournament, then the rest are doing the return leg from Adelaide to Melbourne driving into the night to be back for the AFL Grand Final: Hawthorn v's Sydney Swans. Even the dog has travelled ......just 2 km's down the road for a reciprocal stay with his great mate.....

And here I am in a gorgeous heritage hotel in India!




At Rohet Garh each room is elaborately decorated with hand drawn art work



Breakfast at the House of Rohet, c1622AD is a simple affair and a nice mix of western and Indian foods - perfected in the years since the family opened it's gates to the public in 1990.




Our car was waiting outside after breakfast and we returned to Jodphur to pick up our Guide TeTu who introduces himself as TeTu and from the second highest Warrior Tribe, but a non violent one - phew that's a relief.

Jodphur is a prosperous stone mining city, at the gateway of the Thar Desert. It is known as either Sun City or the Blue City, due to the blue painted buildings around the Mehrangarh Fort. Fortunately (haha!) there is a lift to the entrance where we collect our audio guides.....




zMehrangarh Fort Jodphur 1459 AD - one if the mightiest forts of all time




We continue our morning by walking down from the Fort through the medieval streets to the Old Town. It's nice to walk easily without beggars, and street traders hassling us to buy. We are happy to follow TeTu as it's a chaotic labyrinth of lanes, various forms of transport, sacred cows etc

We stop off with a couple of traders from a spice seller to textiles. The textile merchant exports for the like of Hermes, Kenzo and Donna Karan, the warehouse is on ten levels, but we're not invited beyond the first floor.... It's hard to believe that things from here end up on the streets of Paris....We follow in the footsteps of Prince Charles and Camilla, Richard Gere, Brad Pitt etc They politely decline our photo for their publicity!



After an amazing Indian lunch in a garden restaurant, we transfer into a jeep to visit some local Bishois villages. We stop at a ceramics house and watch the potter make three pots on a wheel which is a stone, precariously perched at a lop-sided angle on a rock, he whizzes round with a stick....




The potter's kids play happily with items made for sale....



Jeep to villages ....to look at rural life. We are offered opium tea, which is a simple ceremony involving drinking three times from the palm of our guide...I decline, looking at the villager who looks doped to he eyeballs, our guide explains today is a festival and much celebrations....







Then onto the carpet weaver, who wears spectacles after years of eye strain from the intricate work but a shame because combined with the smart car outside does make you wonder ..... still buy a rug to support the local community - my only purchase of the day....

We spend the drive back trying to locate my bag which is still on it's way from Singapore. Our Guide tells me that I am wearing the latest perfume: Spirit of Rajasthan!



Little Wandering Wren

Location:Jodphur, INDIA

Comments

Neesie said…
A facinating informative post...so real I can almost smell the spirit of Rajastan! ;D
Hopefully your bag will arrive soon otherwise you'll be wearing that rug!

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat