Skip to main content

Hey-Ho Ho Ho Happy Christmas Countdown

Hello, hello how are you doing? We are doing just fine and counting down to our first-ever Bangkok Christmas. Christmas in Bangkok is a tad hit-and-miss here. 

It is, after all, a normal working day and not celebrated by most Thai people. You either have to search it out in the shopping centres or in the big hotels. 

Christmas Tree at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel, Bangkok

So to get in the Christmas spirit we visited my favourite lavish hotel, the one that starts with a private boat ride down the river. Does anyone else think that the Christmas tree at the Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok usually the epitome of style and elegance, looks a little well, how do I say it delicately, messy this year? 

Or does the designer have a great sense of humour? They have probably been given zero budget and just decided to throw everything at the tree they had in the cupboard. Ho Ho Ho.

Mandarin Oriental foyer 

I should say the tree looks better in the needle than in my photos. Anyway, they have absolutely nailed it as far as I am concerned. This is the epitome of everything a Covid Christmas tree should look like. It speaks to all my mantras for the year:

  • Done is better than talking about it...
  • Let's give it a go and see how far we get...
  • It's the best that I've got right now...
  • If you think you can do better...
Mandarin Oriental: 'Please Keep Your Distance'

Ho ho ho Christmas! It's been a right palaver, hasn't it? Has anyone sent Chrissy cards this year? We are not quite sure what our Thailand post is doing, but I can say a card has just arrived from the UK in less than 7 days - that's impressive, doubly so when I saw the sender spent GBP 2.50 to get it to us - ouch!

I used to love spending a weekend writing Christmas cards but this year people have hardly got a "Happy New Year - let's hope next year is better!" message. It's been a mad rush to get cards on planes to get them vaguely on the right continent! 

My Aussie cards went back with a friend and they have all done 14 days in quarantine in Sydney! Well apart from a pile I found in the study afterwards, if you are one of these friends, I promise I will make it up to you next year.

An American friend has flown back to the US with a card for my Aunt, the British family cards have all been couriered (talking of costly!) to my Mum, who bless her, will post. 

Cor blimey! It was another shock when I looked up the cost of a British stamp! But happy days, it's swings and roundabouts as none of the Aussie cards trickling through have been franked. Is it looking too much like Scrooge to steam them off to reuse?  More ho, ho, ho.

The rest of you are getting Happy New Year Thai style cards with a message in Thai translated to English which reads :

Wishing you another year of happiness.

Please God, no! My heart goes out to you around the world that has had your Christmas plans curtailed or even worse cancelled. I think I speak for us all we can't stand to be this happy again next year!

Of course, those of you who do digital cards are sitting reading this looking smug I know. You know what I might just join you in this next year!


I think I have only really doggedly hung onto the Christmas card tradition to keep some semblance of excitement for the occasion. Determined to keep calm and carry on for Christmas sake, it was interesting to see what traditions have been important to keep. I found my Christmas tree little wren, poinsettias and hmmm who ate all the Quality Street?

This Christmas was not what was planned we are supposed to be having an Aussie festive season. Our family is split across Europe, Asia and Australia and will remain that way but hey ho ho ho... We have a nice Christmas planned instead with friends here in Thailand. We are waiting to see whether our new Covid cases in the provinces, will have any impact. 

We have forced ourselves to get into the Christmas spirit and even found a Christmas tree and an unopened box marked Christmas at the back of our store cupboard. I have joined in a couple of Christmas events at the various women's groups that I have been involved with which have included fundraisers and raffles. I even won both the Lucky Door Prize and a Raffle Prize at the American Women's Club event. You know how I have always loved you American's right?!

At the British Women's Club event, I bought a Christmas Angel made by Sallie she came in a bag which said to Help the Needy. Here she is. Sallie with tears in her eyes as she told me of the old people’s home that she will donate the money too. Angie as I have named our angel has graced the top of our Christmas tree this year! 

Now don't giggle, Angie is doing well, and don't even mention that she was never knitted to have a prickly tree up her bottom!


It was such a lovely morning as we connected, and made new friends, with heartfelt stories of missing family and friends across the globe. There was even the odd tear shared as we realised how families are resigned to be apart this festive season. 


Just signing off to wish you all a wonderful keep calm and carry on festive season. Thank you once again for all your thoughtful and engaged wonderful comments throughout the year. They mean a lot and keep me writing here!


Should you be looking to catch up with further Thailand posts it will be wonderful to see you at my travel blog: Littlewanderingwren.com


Happy Christmas!



Linking with a massive thanks to Angie at Mosaic Monday 
and all the hosts at Our World Tuesday











Comments

Lady Fi said…
Awww - Angie is sweet! Enjoy the holiday season.
Coastal Ripples said…
Well that post made me smile. Hope however you celebrate Christmas it’s a happy one. B x
eileeninmd said…
Cute post Wren! The tree and decorations are pretty.
Merry Christmas to you and your family. I wish you all the best in 2021, a happy and healthy New Year!
Crimson Kettle said…
Have a wonderful Thai Christmas, definitely one you'll remember. I've enjoyed all your fantastic hotel stays this year, great photos to take us away from the same old local area here. All the best for 2021, hopefully you'll be able to get to see your family soon. xx
DeniseinVA said…
Happy Christmas, I thoroughly enjoyed your post. I like to send cards out too. Happy Christmas and A Happy and Healthy New Year!
Jeanie said…
When I wrote my post about reimagining Christmas, I hadn't thought about being in a totally new environment for the holiday. We are "just us two" at Christmas this year. Very different. I don't think that tree is nearly so bad as you do, but I love your four points of Covid decorating! Spot on!

Wishing you all good things for this holiday season and the new year. May your days be merry and bright!
Cynthia said…
Hohoho home alone for Christmas are we! I made our Christmas cards this year as did several of our artist friends which has been quite a nice change from the purchased ones we’ve exchanged other years. I was surprised at the muted hotel tree but after thinking about it, i think it is just right for Christmas 2020 — muted, half-hearted, but the effort is made. Wishing you and your far-flung family a Happy Christmas and a much happier, healthier, adventurous, brighter new year ahead!
Angie said…
Wren - we are blessed to have our two kids with us, and our daughter's boyfriend. So in many ways it feels like a normal Christmas! I do think the feather Christmas tree looks a little messy, but I am not sure how you could do otherwise with feathers? We did send Christmas cards this year; we always write a letter to go with it, and that was difficult to compose. Your Christmas tree wren is adorable! Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday throughout 2020 - looking forward to seeing more of you next year. Merry Christmas!
What a gorgeous tree! Merry Christmas!
Tom said…
...now those are some gorgeous Christmas decorations, the tree is beautiful. Merry Christmas to you.
Dawn said…
The decorations are very elegant. I love the little knit angel. So cute
Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade
Sami said…
Sadly I stopped writing Christmas cards a few years ago, because unfortunately Australian postage is just too expensive and I was spending well into the hundreds to send cards overseas.
We are having an almost normal Christmas with some family and friends, but missing our usual overseas visitors.
It's quite a majestic tree at the hotel and I like your little "Angie".
Have a wonderful Christmas Wren.
I agree that the tree looks a little pitiful in some ways. It looks rather thrown together which is, I think, a good metaphor for the year we've had to endure. Christmas cards were sent here as well as some done via the internet. It's hard for me to give up that tradition but on the other hand is it wise to give so much money to the post office to simply write 'Merry Christmas' and our names inside? But then...perhaps it's fun to get something in the mail that's not an ad or a bill.
As for Angie and the prickly tree bottom - she doesn't look the least bit stressed!
Happy Christmas to you and yours, in whatever form it will take this year.
Fun60 said…
I made an extra effort to get my Christmas cards and parcels sent in plenty of time this year. Yes the cost of postage in the UK is expensive but glad I made the effort as now we will not be having the Christmas we had anticipated. The hotel's tree is perfect fo summing up this year's celebrations. Enjoy your Thai Christmas.
Birgitta said…
Very nice post! Happy Christmas!
Lillie said…
Merry Christmas to you and yours. Wonderful post and enjoy your Christmas in the land of a thousand smiles.
Tanza Erlambang said…
great decoration.... beautiful christmas trees and ornaments.

Happy Holiday
glad to see you a keeping up the humour at this time of year, and looking for Christmas where you can find it. It must be difficult with family and friends flung so far across the globe. I thought the tree at the hotel looked rather swish...certainly wasn't boring! Wishing you and yours a safe and happy Christmas. Take care and thank you for stopping by my blog this week.
That is my kind of tree! I love how it is elegantly disheveled. Your wee Angie angel is adorable. I thought of you as I was decorating my tree this year. Everyone wonders where that little paper elephant came from!

Merry Christmas to you Wren!
JaÅ›min said…

A beautiful post. Reading it, I was very moved.
Oh, I loved reading your post. Thanks for visiting me at Peabea Scribbles so I could come visit. You write with such wonderful spirit. I have always loved receiving the what they call 'snail mail' now since a kid. And, love Christmas cards, but where I live in the US, no one wants to send them anymore. Use to receive tons, and I still send, but like other years, this year received about 5 in the mail. Most perfer the ecard now or just saying it on FB or whatever social media. Those are nice to, but love the excitement of what is in the mailbox, and the words they write of how they've been all year. Had to laugh at the Angel treetop comment. Again, thanks for visiting.
Angie said…
Wren - thanks for your comment on my blog. To answer your question - when we are ready to take the tree down, we lower it to the floor and my husband cuts off a bunch of the branches to make it lighter. Then the two of us can manage to get it out by ourselves! Happy New Year, my friend!
Sounds like such a fun way to celebrate Christmas and that Angie is a darling angel/tree toper. Best holiday wishes!
Amalia
xo
Seasons Greetings and a Happy New Year too.

All the best Jan
Wendy said…
Well after all your kind comments on my blog I had to return the favour! Loving your sense of humour - so needed at the moment. Yes that tree is different but it does seem to be in keeping with the other "floral" arrangements around the space.
Linda said…
I hope you had lovely holidays. Happy New Year!
Sharon Wagner said…
I love the plumes. Christmas with an exotic touch.
Dee said…
I am a little late to reading, but hoping you had a Merry Christmas. I think the tree at the hotel was spectacular in a "we-don't-really-celebrate-Christmas-here" kind of way.

Hoping that 2021 Christmas will be much happier for all of us.
Stewart M said…
Hope all went well with Christmas as the New Year. I'm not sure 2021 is going to get us back to 'normal' - but it will be the start of the journey.

The Rain Room was in Melbourne - and I was just using the camera on my phone, so I was less concerned that usual about rain!

Hope all is well - Cheers, Stewart M - Melbourne
MICHAEL JAY said…
I saw a comment here a few weeks ago about Dr Akhere and i decided to contact him as instructed, thanks to this man for bringing joy to me as wished for. i followed instructions which he gave in other to get my lover back who left me and the kids for 3years now, but thanks to Dr Akhere because they are back to me now for good and we are happy together. please do contact him for help too if in relationship problem via email at: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346 . And testify for yourself.



























































I saw a comment here a few weeks ago about Dr Akhere and i decided to contact him as instructed, thanks to this man for bringing joy to me as wished for. i followed instructions which he gave in other to get my lover back who left me and the kids for 3years now, but thanks to Dr Akhere because they are back to me now for good and we are happy together. please do contact him for help too if in relationship problem via email at: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346 . And testify for yourself.

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat