Skip to main content

Bird and the Bees Bangkok


Sawadee Bee Mai and Happy New Year from a busy Bangkok. 

This weekend was Songkran. The roads are full of cars crawling out of the city as people head off to the Provinces to celebrate Thai New Year with their families. This mass exodus means that almost half the population of Bangkok leave town. Bangkok, however, is never quiet, as it’s a popular time of year for tourists to enjoy the Songkran water festival.


We are all dressed in our best brightest shirts and I'm sure we will be off to 'play water' as the World’s biggest water fight kicks-off all over the country.  April is our hottest month here in Thailand, so being drenched is not all bad…


We’re in Phuket, a beach playground which is always lively at the best of times, unless you know the secret spots. I was interested to see how wet and wild things are here. I need not have worried, in Bangkok, the organised public Songkran spaces have been reduced, whilst the country prepares for the King's Coronation. In Phuket, they were going for it big time!

Songkran rolls into Easter weekend (which is not a public holiday for Thai people) and then I am off on my Fitcation to Bali.

Has anyone else been on a Fitcation? Do let me know! Last time I was in Bali I was there for a yoga retreat. It seems this small island is making quite a name for itself in the fitness industry. Hey ho, years ago we all went to the beach to do nothing...

Well never let it be said that your Wren is a lay-about!

Spa Queen of Asia in Bali 2016
It seemed like a good idea when I signed up last year to join other members of my Aussie gym at a purpose-built Bali resort! I have always been a sucker for a good destination. 

Since then, I am not as fit, nor trim, as I used to be. Today's memo suggesting to pack a long-sleeved shirt and leggings for our 2 am start to climb the volcano at sunrise did make me smile. Note to self: read the small print in future.

I have been in a training frenzy all week, getting fit for my Fitcation. Don’t forget the rest of my holiday buddies have been working out for months! Hmmm, s'pose it's too late to give up coconut ice-cream?



I have a great Personal Trainer in Bangkok called Bird. He doesn’t speak much English, but when he was introduced as Bird, I knew he’d be perfect to help me keep fit for my on-off planes crazy lifestyle.
I'm a Gym Bunny in Bangkok - trouble is I'm hardly there!
Personal Training is a third of the cost compared with Australia and so whenever I am in Thailand, I try to work out and stretch with Bird. We always have a laugh as we struggle to understand each other. 

He doesn’t seem to know the word eighteen, which he skips every time and I haven’t corrected him as it means I only ever struggle to nineteen of anything, as he proudly gets to twenty! 

This week it goes like this:

Bird: ‘You got new shoes
Me: ‘Yes, I’m going on a Fitcation’  Me big smiley face.
Bird: 'You got fat’  Him, even bigger smiley face.
Me: laughs nervously: 'You're not supposed to say that!'
Bird: warming up his English vocabulary: 'Today we do fat-burn
You got O-Bees!'

So today I can hardly walk, as I strive to be less obese for my Fitcation.
Wish me luck! 


Thank you to those of you who have been joining me on my blogging from A-Z Challenge Around the World with Wren on Little Wandering Wren - Travels.

So far we have been to 


Pop over and see me there if you can. I promise I won't throw a bucket of water over you and I'd love to see you. 

Must dash, I’m off to the gym to work on getting rid of a few bees!

Wren x


Linking with thanks to all the hosts at Our World Tuesday

Comments

eileeninmd said…
Hello,

I hope it is not a requirement to be fit before your Fitcation. The spa does sounds wonderful, climbing to the top of the volcano sounds interesting. Wonderful photos. Wishing you a happy day!
Cute post that makes me giggle. Have a great time on your "fitcation!"
Crimson Kettle said…
You'll be so fit by the end of all this, you'll have to treat yourself to some more coconut ice cream!
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Fun60 said…
The water fight sounded fun in those hot temperatures.
Janice said…
Your post made me LOL. o bees
Oh my! I'm wishing you the very best! I try to stay in shape but the older you get...the harder that is! Take pics of everything!
You sound so busy …
Loved seeing all of your photographs.

All the best Jan
PerthDailyPhoto said…
Oh you made me laugh out loud on this rainy Perth day. I enjoyed Bali and Phuket very much, haven't been for a while though. My fear of flying grows every time we head over to Sydney, really must do something about it 😱
Tanza Erlambang said…
I have been in Phuket several years ago...beautiful white sandy beach....
Have a great day
Nancy Chan said…
Very enjoyable and entertaining post. Phuket was one of the stop on our cruise holiday. Hope you enjoyed getting wet during the water festival. At this moment, I would love a coconut ice cream.
Hi friend!!!.. In Spain we celebrate Easter these days .. When are you coming to Spain? ... Sun, blue seas, white sands, good food and nice people .. Come on !!! .. :-)))
Jeanie said…
I'm thinking Phuket was where the tsunami hit several years ago. If so, it looks like it may be well recovered, which is a good thing.

Hope your fitcation is fun and you get a bit of the vacay with it!
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cute post!!
Thanks so much for stopping by!!
Hugs,
Debbie
Lady Fi said…
You sure know how to enjoy life!
My son and his family are returning home today after a vacation in Thailand. I'm looking forward to hearing all about it! I do know they participated in the water festival, plus took a Thai cooking class. Your pictures brought the scenes to life.
My Our World Tuesday post features a hike in the “Issaquah Alps,” Washington State, USA.
Having to get up at dark-thirty in the morning to hike up a mountain - not my idea of fun! Give me the coconut ice cream and a shady beach chair and I'm good, thank you.
Tanza Erlambang said…
Happy Easter to you and yours
Phuket, Bali, you lead an exotic life, my friend.
I could do with a Bird in mine :-)
Amalia
xo
Sara said…
Your post made me laugh! It can be difficult with language barriers but with the right attitude, like yours, can all come down to a good laugh.
Stick to your coconut ice scream... I meant fitness plan, stick to your fitness plan :)
Cynthia said…
A water fight sounds quite nice in those temperatures. No one gets carried away and hurts or offends anyone? I don’t think a public water fight would end well here! I imagine you are off on your fitcation this week. I’ll be waiting for the photos from the volcano sunrise!

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat