Skip to main content

The whole world wants a piece of Paris!

Paris is the most popular tourist destination in the world. So is it any wonder that other countries try to recreate a little of the Paris magic elsewhere? Take a look at the pictures of the Eiffel Tower below. Do you notice anything strange?

The Parisian Eiffel Tower, Cotai Strip, Macau
Yes, you're right to think it looks a little different. It's the new Eiffel Tower designed to bring the glamour of Paris to China! Well if they can offer copy watches and handbags on every street corner, you wouldn't expect an Eiffel Tower replica to be too tricky to rustle up, would you? 

The above photos are a half-size Eiffel Tower, one of the new landmarks of the soon to be opened hotel for Las Vegas Sands in Macau The Parisian: æ¾³é–€å·´é»Žäºº

Below is the real deal. The Eiffel Tower on the Champs de Mars, Paris. The most visited paid monument in the world. It's iconic presence wherever found, is sure to bring a little magic to that corner of the world.

The Eiffel Tower, Paris
They say 'imitation is the greatest form of flattery' so Paris should be proud! What do you think? Here is my photo from my last year's visit to Paris when I was so excited to get that first glimpse of the Eiffel Tower through the sunroof of the taxi... Sad but true, I do still feel the same way whenever I see a Kangaroo bounding through the bush here in Australia, like the Kangaroo to Australia, the Eiffel Tower is iconic France.

Eiffel Tower, Paris through taxi sunroof May 2015
So in the last few weeks, I have visited Paris in Australia, Asia, and Europe! Let me take you to where it all began: the Paris end of Whitehorse road, Balwyn, Melbourne, Australia. There is a little French bistro, Arthur Radley that we really rather like, with a sign proudly proclaiming:

'Welcome to the Paris end of Whitehorse Rd!'

Well, that was, as Dame Edna Everage, Australia's greatest living comic Queen would say rather "spooky" as I was just leaving for Paris, France!


Little did I know, it was going to be via Paris, China! We stopped off en-route to Europe for a 50th Birthday celebration. I love being back in Hong Kong, our previous family home. Macau is always interesting for me, having worked for Las Vegas Sands. At the time this was bringing Venice, complete with Grand Canals and serenading gondoliers to China, so it is no real surprise to learn that ten years on, Paris is coming to Macau!

The Parisian Eiffel Tower, Macau
Well, it is Paris, China style, they've been remarkably faithful to the original in Macau, but instead of the beautiful wrought iron lattice, they've gone for steel. The structure has had the benefit of modern engineering to ensure it stands up to the high winds of the annual typhoon season.

The 3,000 room and suite Parisian Macau is yet to be opened but the Eiffel Tower topping out festivities included a  dance-off between the French Cancan girls and a Chinese lion dance. It would have been a fascinating Easts meets West affair.

The Eiffel Tower through the gates of the Tuileries Gardens, Paris
What is the world most recognisable monument? Yes, it's the Eiffel Tower. Take these photos above and below, one little glimpse of the Eiffel Tower in the background and you know you're in Paris!  It dominates the Paris skyline. I love the fact that rest of the world also wants a piece of Paris, What do you think?!


They say a brief holiday in Paris is forever in your memory. 
Well as I've been to Paris three times recently that makes me a very lucky girl! 



Linking with thanks to Phoebe at All About France







SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat