Skip to main content

You know you're a true Brit when...

Five on Friday

It's lovely to be back in the UK.
Twenty-two years ago, we left for three years.
Happily and reassuringly, the important things in life are still the same...


1. Everything starts and finishes with the weather
The weather is still the preferred, polite way
to start any conversation...
'Morning, lovely day'...
or 'Hi ya, chilly today'...
Usually the later! 

I note that England in Spring 
shares the same temperatures this week 
with Melbourne in Autumn, 12ºC  (54ºF)

Clouds over the Vale of the White Horse, Oxfordshire for Skywatch Friday
2. Cuppa and Cake
Discussing the General Election
and whether Kate will have a girl, called Diana
over a cup of tea, poured from a teapot, milk first 
and a slice of Mum's homemade date and walnut cake 
at 4pm, is a not-be-missed event.


3. Food! 
You know when you're a true Brit when... 

...a trip Sainsbury's supermarket holds great excitement.

 ...twenty pence off malt loaf is a big deal, 


... your grin at finding a scotch egg at a funeral looks 
way too happy for the occasion, 

...Walkers salt and vinegar crisps, need I say more?!

You know when you're a true Brit when...
you still prefer Marmite to the Aussie Vegemite!


4. British Humour
You know you're truly home when...

You can say the words 'Murray mints', 
and know someone will reply:
'The too good to hurry mints!'
To which you both then say 
'Ha, Ha, Boom, Boom'
knowing that everyone will know you're talking 
Basil Brush!

There is a whole lot of British sayings which 
'I'm not being funny or anything...'
But, I'd forgotten.
'Have you got a minute...?'
and I'll tell you about them
'Righty-ho...'

But then other things are different...

5. All our cliches
When I left England's green and pleasant land, 
it was 'to be honest,' well green!

'I can't get my head around it', but,
when did the countryside turn yellow? 

'Actually,' 
the oilseed rape with it's bright yellow plants,
is making a big impact these days... 

Oilseed rape fields outside Bath, Somerset UK
I hope we're all 'singing from the same hymn sheet' today
Otherwise you won't have a clue what I'm on about.
But 'let's face it', what's new, hey?!

Have a lovely weekend, it's a Bank holiday weekend here
Which means we have Monday off.
Toodaloo!
Linking with thanks to Skywatch Friday 
and Amy at Five on Friday

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our balcony Sunbirds!

Something beautiful is happening at our place, I can hear the little birds sing! This is no mean feat as we live way up high, above the 30th floor. I love my new apartment it is just perfect, except that I missed the birds. Then guess what? Two of the cutest little Thai Sunbirds decided to join us and build a nest. Talk about the happiest bird watch ever! Our sunbird on our orchids Let's go back a bit and remind you about my Bangkok life. I've arrived in this great city from Melbourne Australia. Where I have a garden that I love and although the birds are a little cautious about visiting us, on account of the Crazy Poodle, we enjoyed all manner of what I think of as exotic birds - bright parrots, laughing kookaburras etc Rainbow lorikeets checking to see what the Crazy Poodle is up to! Our first Bangkok apartment at Embassy Place was chosen for it's amazing position overlooking one of the US Embassy compounds. The American Ambassador in Bangkok, has a ni...

Updates for Little Wandering Wren

 Hello everyone ✨ Big news from the nest! ✨ How are you doing? We are excited to be heading off again to explore the world. If you love travelling to lesser-known places without the crowds. Stick follow along. After years of sharing my adventures over on Little Wandering Wren at Blogspot, it’s time to spread my wings… You’ll now find me at www.littlewanderingwren.com   Here you’ll discover: 🌍 Inspiring stays in the world’s best hotels, resorts & B&Bs 🌿 Hidden-gem destinations perfect for curious travellers 💫 Travel tips & stories for over-50/60s (and young at heart!) 📸 Gorgeous photography to fuel your wanderlust It’s the same Little Wandering Wren you know and love, just in a fresh new home! 👉 Tap the link in bio or head to  www.littlewanderingwren.com  to explore — and don’t forget to subscribe so you never miss an adventure. These days we hang out in Thailand and SE Asia, Australia, the UK, France and the United States. Here are some of t...

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully...