Skip to main content

Happy New Year ... Well this is fun!

Oh, my golly gosh we're still in the first throws of 2021 - does anyone else think it could be a long year? 

It was so lovely to see all of you who had stopped by to say happy festive season before Christmas. I just wanted to say hello before we got too far into this year which as others have said does look a bit like the ugly sister of 2020... 

Kata Beach

Nevertheless and thinking positive, Happy New Year to you where ever you may be reading this. Did you have fun and fireworks as best you could where ever you were celebrating? Or did you see the 2020 out with as much good riddance as you could muster, settling in for another early night? 

Kata Beach Phuket

We have been in Phuket an island in Southern Thailand. Normally at this time of year, the beaches would be packed with people from all over the world celebrating. This year was a subdued affair, not only were we without our fellow Internationals, many within Thailand fearing our own COVID-19 lockdowns on the horizons, cancelled their New Year travel plans.

Kata Beach Phuket 

We had fun, we had a beachside NYE dinner but in an eerie taste of what was to come, a Spring tide brought an exceptionally high tide. The sea splashed violently over the break wall of the restaurant and we all got wet. The Guy on the next-door table ended up looking like he was entering a Miss Wet T-shirt competition! Luckily for all of us, it is always warm water here in Thailand.

What started off as a reasonably well social distanced event became a huddle against the back wall of the restaurant as we doggedly enjoyed our dinner. Keep calm and carry on is always a good mantra!

Is this a corona firework? Are they having a laugh?

For the big countdown, we popped into a local hotel (masks on) for their firework display. In what is usually a golden night in Phuket where entry is by way of gala dinner and exorbitant accommodation costs, this year it was 'yes please come on in'. All is not lost on us how fortunate we have been in Thailand throughout the year and our thoughts were firmly with family and friends in lockdown around the world.


In Thailand, paper lanterns are lit and floated off into the sky carrying people's wishes for the year ahead. Normally the night sky would be aglow. This year a few forlorn lantern-sellers trudged the sands in hope of a 200 Baht sale (that's nearly five quid, it would have been a big night for sure for lantern sellers) 

Now there is a big moral dilemma, is this pollution? But this year, of course, we bought one, someone had to make sure that the world's wishes were listened to - right? We sent it high with our big wish that this pandemic will end and we can visit our family and friends overseas.  

Rawai Beach Phuket

Hmmm, I think I want a refund! Only a few days later Thailand's increasing Covid-19 numbers force stricter measures, with Bangkok being one of the red zones with the highest number of cases. Schools and entertainment venues are closed and Mr Wren is back working from home, all non-essential travel within Thailand has been stopped from red zones. 

But less of that this is my happy place and so I'm here to bring you some soothing photos of beaches in Phuket and some happy turtle news. 

Remember I mentioned the Springtide on New Year's Eve? Well, bless her, up Kata beach came a 300 kg leatherback turtle at 1 am to surprise remaining revellers. 

She laid 50-60 eggs on the beach outside the Community Centre. No-one remembers this happening for over twenty years! Isn't that a lovely start to the year? The area has been fenced off and an educational tent set up with information on the turtles. You can read more about it here

Kata Beach Phuket

Here's hoping that fifty baby turtles will be born in March and that calmer waters are ahead. I hope you have enjoyed a little Thailand escapism where ever you are reading. 

For more regular updates you can follow me on Instagram here, or Facebook here.

Have a lovely day! Chat soon!


Linking with thanks to Angie at Mosaic Monday




Comments

ann said…
The beach looks so inviting. It's hard to imagine COVID invading paradise, but you must be concerned. Here in Colorado, hopefully, fingers crossed, that it is on the wane. I don't worry so much about going out. I wear my mask and use hand sanitizer, but more importantly, we avoid large crowds and if there is even a hint that it is in the grandchildren' school, we avoid them, too. We've been exposed twice, once when we visited a very sick friend in the hospital before COVID had been discovered in the US. Afterwards her symptoms were notes as classic Covid-19, and then in November when one granddaughter tested negative, but was actually positive every one who was at the birthday party the night she started getting sick got sick the next week, but we managed not show any symptoms. Still, we are cautious and hoping for the day when the virus is declared null and void. I worry more about my grandsons who have been remote learning since April. Stay well, Little Wren.
Coastal Ripples said…
I’m thinking the laying of fifty turtle eggs is an omen of good things ahead. Beautiful photos of a beautiful place, so cheering on these dull January days. Roll on better times. B x
eileeninmd said…
Hello,

We had a quiet New year's Eve, in fact I was asleep before midnight.
We have not been to a restaurant, only for carryout. The virus is still raging here, everyone is waiting for the vaccine. Love the beach and turtle photos. I wish you all the best in 2021, happy and safe travels.
Tom said…
...Kata Beach looks beautiful, I won't be enjoying the beaches in Maui this winter because of Covid-19.
Gattina said…
This vicious virus conquered even such paradisical places !A shame ! We had a nice but very strange New Year celebration. The curfew at 10 pm and the fact that you were officially allowed to have ONE guest ! (What with a couple ? Belgian logic) our usual group, we were 6 this time arrived at 4 pm and we faked as if it was 7 and at 9 pm we raised our glasses and wished Happy New Year.. At 9.30 pm I was sitting in front of the TV and Ric went to bed ! No firework and empty streets ! But our celebration had been very funny and nice as usual. In our building nobody can check who goes to whom !
Anonymous said…
What a beautiful escape that we all are so much in need of right now.
There's still so many restrictions, worries and heartache in this pandemic having such a grip on us. Maybe your lantern takes time...or perhaps you needed to put more money for this mammoth request?
But what did bring a smile to my face is the fabulous news about the turtles... I would love to witness that and to hear of the imminent arrival of baby turtles certainly does lift the spirits.
Stay safe Wren xx
Oh, I LOVE the turtle story!! How I would have loved to see that. Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could be there when they hatch!!
Happy 2021 to you and yours - may it end on a much brighter note that what it began and will lots of good things in the middle.
Lillie said…
Beautiful post . You are so lucky to be where you are and able to travel within. Stay Safe!
We enjoyed a quiet New Years Eve. Although it was only a few weeks ago in some ways it feels longer!

Here in England, UK we are in lockdown with schools etc shut and only essential shops open.

We are allowed out to exercise (thank goodness) and enjoyed a nice winters walk earlier.

Let us hope 2021 improves soon for us all.

In the meantime, my good wishes and stay safe and well.

All the best Jan
Angie said…
Wren - the beach photos are stunning. I don't know if you normally would be able to get such photos without people in them? Our New Year's Eve was very quiet, mostly because we were scheduled to work the next day at our ski resort. I didn't mind. I loved the story of the turtle arriving on the beach and laying eggs - a silver lining if there ever was one! Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!
Jeanie said…
How intersting, Wren. Is Phuket where the tsunami hit hard? It looks like it has come back in these days several years later. I'm so happy that the turtles are hanging in -- I hope there are many new ones this year.

I love the lanterns. We have done that on NYEve too, although the last time we did it -- years ago -- one nearly went into a neighbor's roof with a wind change. We decided it might not be the best idea! This year I was in bed by 10:30 -- times have changed!
Cynthia said…
You had a far more interesting New Years holiday than we did. With Covid numbers soaring, we two did the best we could to continue to stay away from everyone including those we love. After 11 months of staying in, it almost feels like a way of life now! However, with a new President and better odds in Congress for getting things done, we are holding out hope that things will be better, hopefully by this summer.
How exciting to see the big turtle lay her eggs! We see the nests in our beach but have yet to see the act.
I hope your little lantern reaches its destination with all your wishes intact!
Janice said…
I have been enjoying your posts on FB messenger. 2021 looks a lot like 2020. Son, DIL and bonus grandson contracted covid. They are declared to be on the mend and doing great. Wishing you the best in this new year.
Sharon Wagner said…
Happy turtle news! Nice. We could all use more good news. This area is on my bucket list.
Nancy Chan said…
Beautiful place, beautiful beach and exciting to see the turtle laying eggs.
I really enjoyed reading your post about New Year in Phuket and Thailand. I love the lantern idea, they must look so lovely floating off up into the sky. Lovely to hear about the turltes. But sorry to hear about your new lockdown and cases. We have been relatively safe here in Western Australia, but I fear that worse is to come for us. Roll on vaccinations! Stay safe, take care, and enjoy your week and thank you for visiting my blog this week.
This is fantastic - and such gorgeous photos! How I miss travelling.
Amalia
xo
Tom said…
...what a beautiful spot to celebrate the New Year! My best to you.
NatureFootstep said…
thanks for sharing your photos of Thailand. I have never visited the country which might be a mistake. Now I probably never will.

I hope you are safe down there. Take care!
Nancy Chan said…
That is a beautiful beach. I have not have the chance to see a turtle lay eggs in person. Our Lunar New Year is a very quiet one.
Veronica Lee said…
I believe the turtle eggs are a harbinger of something wonderful to come.

Fabulous photos btw!
MICHAEL JAY said…
I saw a comment here a few weeks ago about Dr Akhere and i decided to contact him as instructed, thanks to this man for bringing joy to me as wished for. i followed instructions which he gave in other to get my lover back who left me and the kids for 3years now, but thanks to Dr Akhere because they are back to me now for good and we are happy together. please do contact him for help too if in relationship problem via email at: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346 . And testify for yourself.



























































I saw a comment here a few weeks ago about Dr Akhere and i decided to contact him as instructed, thanks to this man for bringing joy to me as wished for. i followed instructions which he gave in other to get my lover back who left me and the kids for 3years now, but thanks to Dr Akhere because they are back to me now for good and we are happy together. please do contact him for help too if in relationship problem via email at: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346 . And testify for yourself.

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat