Skip to main content

Moving on in Vietnam.

I've never liked Vietnam as a holiday destination. 
This puts me at odds with most people who go there and love it. 
They love the culture, the food, the cities, the shopping and the beaches...

For sure it is as interesting as the rest of Asia, but for me, I could never escape the weight of history. I found the constant setting the scene in terms of the Vietnam war as quite frankly so horrific, that it would impact on my holiday. 


I won't repeat what we already know about the Vietnam war, described as one of the US's most controversial military campaigns. Australia's involvement included nearly 60,000 Australian military personnel on the ground. Mental and physical scars run deep across the world.

I found that on previous holidays the average Vietnamese tour guide was so concerned to set everything we saw in terms of its context if any, to the Vietnam war that it always impacted on my mood. At one point it was so bad  we would say 'No, we're British, we weren't really involved!'

Our previous visits to Ho Chi Minh cities left us reeling. Who can really ever get those images of the pickled fetus from the World Remnants Museum in Ho Chi Minh City from their minds? Or the dilemma of whether Daddy was going to pay some money to fire off a AK47 at the Chi Chi Tunnels. He didn't, in case you were wondering! 



I couldn't work out whether the country is so scared by this period in its history that it is incapable to move on, and that perhaps we need to wait for the next generation. Or maybe was that they felt the average tourist wanted/needed to know all about the Vietnam War? 

I am all for 'Lest We Forget' and the importance of learning from wars and not repeating mistakes in history. But I found the horrific history hard to disassociate from whilst on holiday. How could I relax in these circumstances, was it even right to try?



I didn't have the same feelings in Japan. I've been to Hiroshima, Japan where they handle the dropping of the atomic bomb quite differently. For a start the museum is set in Hiroshima Peace Memorial park. They are more balanced about how they portray the events. 

We didn't even need to bring up that I'm an Aussie, we had no idea that it was happening. I find where world events are concerned it is very useful having two different passports sometimes!

In Japan, unlike in Vietnam, the war wasn't constantly pushed as part of the tourist experience. In fact quite the opposite, and actually the impact of the atomic bomb and the war is hard to discuss with local people. They don't want to bring up that sad part of their history.

I was able to move on to enjoy the rest of my holiday. In a way that I never could in Vietnam.

But this time in Vietnam, things were changing. The outlook seemed brighter.


This time we are in Vietnam for nearly two weeks and I feel like both the country and perhaps myself have moved on. Certainly, development has hit, high rise buildings are on the up and designer coffee bars are becoming the norm in Ho Chi Minh. The growth in numbers of Russian and Chinese travelers may be diluting the tourism interest in the Vietnam war and we are in the South. 

We've been in Ho Chi Minh city and at the beaches of Nha Trahn. I am feeling like for the first time ever I have been able to get past the war and relax and enjoy my holiday.



Is that a good thing? I'm not sure. But now I get it. Now I see what people have been raving about for years! I can't wait to show you some of the amazing photos from this incredible country.




SaveSaveSaveSave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat