Skip to main content

Bangkok looking pretty in pink!

Bangkok life is certainly bright and cheery.
Here are five of my best feel good photos from the week!



1. Take these little plastic cups of roses which I bought from a lady on the street for 40 Baht (just over a $1 USD or just under 1GBP.) What a bargain! 


I found that much as I love having fresh flowers in the house, the humidity turns the water really smelly, rather quickly. So I am happy with these roses, they only last a day or two but that's fine. Even if I have a slight fear that I should be taking them to a shrine or placing on someone's tomb? If you know the answer to this do let me know!


2. Our local shopping centre had a Thai flower garland demonstration, just look at all the work involved in these beautiful creations. My life here in Bangkok is still so new, even though I have now been out of Australia for twenty weeks, only eight have been spent in Thailand, I am still at that stage of "wow" at some of the things I see - long may it continue!


































These colourful garlands are all hand crafted from petals and leaves sewn together with thread and ribbon - aren't they exquisite? We can often see ladies sitting on the street pavements, often with a baby close by, making these garlands for sale. 


You will spot these amazing exotic flower creations draped over statues and shrines. In some hotel's holidaymakers are given jasmine garlands on arrival, I wish you could smell them, they are very fragrant.

Life in Bangkok is full of contrasts, let's move from the serene to a day in the life of a Pink VIP Tuk Tuk driver! That sure would be rather manic, between the traffic and the pollution.


3. We don't yet have a Tuk Tuk Driver that can whizz us around the Bangkok Streets but if we did, I reckon this pink and green seated VIP would be the place to start don't you? Really is there anything more synonymous with Thailand than the three-wheeled Tuk Tuk taxi? 

It would be good to have a Tuk Tuk driver that we knew and trusted, one that didn't charge you an exorbitant tourist rate. I need to learn enough Thai to say I'm a local! Until that time, maybe I'll just use the excellent SkyTrain public transport.


4. Thai Flowers. I have had the chance to admire some amazing flower displays recently in some of our local hotels. You can't really see it but this arrangement is huge and can be found in the foyer of the St Regis hotel. I bet they don't have problems with smelly water!


Finally here is a humungous Ganesha pink elephant with attitude!  I have joined the British Women's Group, which has been a lovely way to connect with others living in Thailand. The organised activity this week was an excursion to amongst other things this Temple Wat Samen Rathhanaram, which was an hour out of Bangkok.  

The temple site was really interesting as it was full of larger than life characters including Pokemon and Power Rangers alongside all the more traditional religious and spiritual shrines. A strange mixture perhaps, but quite ingenious when you realise that they are hoping to attract donations to fund the construction of a new hospital for the local community.

I hope you have enjoyed some of the things which have caught my eye this week?  Have a lovely week ahead, I look forward to seeing what the week brings!


Linking with thanks to Beverley's at Pink Saturday  
and Maggie at Mosaic Monday 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat