Skip to main content

Inverloch

Up the creek without a paddle!




Australia is blessed with some great beaches, so it is always interesting to see where the most popular holiday spots are. You'll rarely if ever, find a beach that fails to deliver... Yet what stands out with the best frequented Victorian coastal destinations, is that they often offer both the sheltered, calm swimming beaches, together with the surfing ocean beaches. 


Inverloch, Gippsland, Victoria
Inverloch, a seaside holiday town 143 km South East of Melbourne has both ocean and inlet beaches. Despite being on the choppy Bass Strait, which is great for all forms of surfing, it also has the gentle, protected waters of Andersons Inlet. It justly deserves its reputation as a wonderful location for a family holiday.

I hope you have your walking shoes on because today I'm going to take you on the Screw Creek nature walk to take in some fresh salt air. Our little wander starts at the back of the Inverloch Foreshore Camping Reserve and I defy anyone not to pass through the campsite without saying "We must go camping!" It looks a great campsite right on the sand dunes of Anderson Inlet.


Anderson Inlet, Inverloch
It's a lovely little walk amongst the shady tea-trees up to Townsend Bluff which is only 1.5kms. The good news is that surprisingly for a nature walk we can take the Crazy Poodle. In fact, this whole coastline is a lot more receptive to dogs than our more familiar Mornington Peninsula. 


With views like these, you maybe won't be surprised to know that they have found dinosaur bones in this here parts! We will be able to have some stunning views of Anderson's Inlet and admire the marshlands.

Screw Creek nature walk
The path winds over boardwalks through the salt marsh, upward towards the paperbark forest. There are many animals around, not that the echidnas and wombats will be easy to spot with the dog. Anderson Inlet is classified as an important birding area, and the mudflats provide important feeding for the Spoonbills and other wading birds.


The bridge was built at the creek in 1971, and this is where in a gust of wind my sunhat flew off into the water! This area is a popular area for fishing, but do you think we could find a fisherman when we needed to cast a line and catch a hat? No way! There was lots of discussion about whether we should wait, but in the end, we did.  My hat slowly bobbed down the creek until it came in on the little beach down from the bridge and was retrieved!


Have hat, will travel!
You don't want to go far without slapping on a sunhat in an Aussie summer, so I was happy to get mine back. It took a while for it to dry out, but it is fine now. Of course, we had contemplated sending the Crazy Poodle in for a game of fetch but he's just not that into the water! Here he is recovering after a busy afternoon! Don't you just love being on holiday?

If you're passing, rub my tummy!
Thank you for joining me on my April A to Z challenge, it is lovely to have you along on my virtual tour as we Wander Victoria. Tomorrow we're going to explore the Inverloch surf beach, and we're up to the letter J. I hope you're up to go exploring on a jet ski?! 

Linking with the following with grateful thanks to our hosts
Blue Monday - thanks Jeanne



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat