Skip to main content

Himalayan Necklace - Oh the stories it could tell!

Do you ever wonder...?

I bought a necklace in India last year... 

It is well travelled. Oh the stories it could tell! 

Like 
Where was it made? 
(I was told it was local from the foothills of the Himalayas...)
Who made it? 

Does she 
(In my mind it was made by a lady, 
hopefully not a child... and certainly not a man.
Ever wonder who bought the jewellery? 
Or think

'Where in the world will it will end up?'



I fell in love with this necklace, 
seeing it as a connection to our 16 year old son, 
who was on exchange at an Indian boarding school, 
and as a memory of 
my Indian Adventures...

Like the crazy twenty hour journey I took just to reach him... 
On an overnight sleeper train from Jaisalmer to Jaipur
leaving my girlfriends,
 and travelling solo, 
for a six hour train ride to Delhi.

A mad taxi ride across Delhi, to the Airport, 
popping my anti-nausea pills to stop disgracing myself,
 like an over indulged teenager, 
after a night on the booze...

A flight to Dehradun on some obscure Indian airline, 
with a load of school kids 
wondering whether any of them were friends with my son, 
but then remembering he didn't yet have any friends in India... 
Or so he said,
(not entirely accurate as it turned out!)

Hitching a lift from the airport
with an incredible Canadian Woman 
who was teaching English to street kids, 
and welcomed me in her taxi, 
when mine was nowhere to be seen. 

Stopping at her house 
meeting her Indian housekeeper's children
who she was paying to attend an English language primary school, 
then travelling on, 
 alone, 
up into the clouds, 
for a further hour into Mussoorie: 'the Queen of the Hills' 
and finally arriving at the hotel...

Rokeby Manor was a very welcome sight. 
Our room (my son was allowed out to stay with me) 
was filled with lovely Himalayan decorations.
We got him a haircut, at the hotel salon, 
he had been there eleven weeks by the time I arrived 
and was like a shaggy dog!
The food at Rokeby's Emily's cafe was amazing, 
not like this was the best food ever, ever, ever 
but this was a welcome mixture of Western and Indian food
you know for those moments when you never want to see a curry again, 
and I was assured, safe to eat...

I was still recovering from a good dose of Delhi belly 



(As I did the entire month in India!)





So I bought the necklace from the hotel giftshop.
I loved it's bright colours, 
the rough stones 
and the fact that buying it, supported the local community.

 It came with me on the rest of my travels.
Would it's creator be pleased to know that in the UK
I wore it to Kensington Palace, 
hidden deep under layers of clothes for a cold Christmas carol service?

Or that this was the necklace I was wearing when I sang 
"The hills are alive with the Sound Of Music' in Switzerland,
or that I wore it cycling in The Netherlands?

It came to the Czech Republic and visited the nuclear bunker museum
It rose to the occasion at Barcelona FC, 
when we cheered on Messi to score three goals 
Oh yes, that was a good trip...


And when the holiday was all over,
 it came back to our routine life in Australia, 
and joined me on the school run, walking the dog, 
watching sports, and at the supermarket...

I do wear it a lot!

It seemed to go with everything, 
or maybe I should say in Melbourne, 
everyone wears a lot of black 
and it often seems the perfect jewellery to brighten a dark outfit...


BUT then it broke!
I was left with a whole load of happy memories,
 and beads all over the place!

In a previous life this would have been no drama, as there would have been a lady at the Jade Market in Hong Kong, or across the Chinese border in Shenzhen, who would restring and mend, 
good as new,
 for next to nothing!

But in Melbourne? Where to go?
If I had needed to have some high quality pearls restrung, 
or maybe it was made of precious stones,
that would not be an issue, 
but a whole pile of artesian beads?!!!

Time to call in an old friend, 
visiting from Hong Kong, 
used to my strange requests 
to help me fix things in Australia 
that once seemed so easy in Asia...


So my necklace flew to Hong Kong ...
And was fixed by a little lady somewhere in HK or China, 
I'm not sure!
My friend sent me a picture of herself wearing it for a night on the town, 
maybe Lan Kwai Fong 
or maybe the Kowloon Cricket Club, 
I forget where. 
 Then she returned it home to me!

So now my necklace is back on the supermarket run again...

Oh the stories, it can tell!

I do wish it would tell me about when it was made, 
and who made it...

'Would they be surprised to know that it has travelled around the world and now
 Lives in Australia?

Would they be thrilled to know how many many people comment and say
'Nice Necklace?'


Postscript!
Last Sunday I wore it to an Art Exhibition, 
over champagne and canopies, 
a lady leant over

'Nice Necklace' she said!

'Did you get it in Nepal?'

Nepal?????, I replied, 
'No, I got it in India...' 
and told her the story...

'Well, I have some earrings that would match perfectly, 
I'll give them to you!'

I can't wait to meet these new earrings from Nepal
I wonder what stories they could tell?!

Have a lovely week!

PS Update from Rokeby Manor (click comments below to read more)

Hi,
I'm Monish, the Guest Relations Manager at Rokeby Manor-Mussoorie. This necklace was bought from a local Tibetan handicrafts store. I was told by the lady who sold it to us that they buy the beads individually, an assortment of beads and semi precious stones, and then they are beaded into beautiful necklaces such as yours. She must have been in a very pleasant mood when she was beading your necklace as it is very beautiful indeed.
 · 
Reply
 
Hi Monish
Thank you taking the time and trouble to contact me. I am very happy to know more about my beautiful Tibetan necklace. I always feel very happy wearing it and it is often admired.
I hope you have been able to pass on my grateful thanks to it's maker at the Tibetan handicrafts store. Perhaps hearing my story will put her in a very pleasant mood to create more wonderful necklaces?!
I hope to visit Rokeby Manor - Mussoorie again in the future.
Have a wonderful day!
Wren x
Read more
I am linking this post to : 
Thanks to all the hosts.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat